Deer Hunting Forums banner

dies

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  DKA 
G
#1 · (Edited)
Oh yeah, and then th

Oh yeah, and then there's that HORRIBLE water-gun trigger. ;-)1911's are a wee bit much to ccnaeolThey don't have to be, if you got, say an aluminum-framed 4"- or 3"-barreled model. Small, light -- and, yes, actually thinner than the Glock. They say the 3-inch 1911s can be real bastards though, so I think the shortest I'd go would be 4, 4.25 inches if I had it to do again -- though my Kimber Tac Ultra II has been a great weapon. And I knew the only part that was polymer was the frame, yes. That "plastic gun" crack was tongue-in-cheek. ;-)WV: spush -- yeah, the Glock trigger feels all spush-y and stuff..

G
#3 · (Edited)
I understand that th

I understand that the 1/5/13 show at Market Hall sttars at 9am Saturday & ends Sunday at 4pm, but what time does the show close on Saturday & what time does the show open on Sunday. What time it closes on Saturday & what time it opens on Sunday is very relevant to arranging my schedule so I can plan on going to the show.

#6 ·
I am also shopping for dies. I plan on purchasing RCBS X-dies in 25-06, 270, 30-06. I believe they are around $55 per set. I think the benchrest dies are overpriced. If you seat using the quarter turn method 4 times per case with std dies and check with a runout gauge for concentricity holding a .002 tol then your good to go.

I have been told that Redding also makes a pretty good die set.

#7 · (Edited)
I could be wrong here, but I beleive the higher price dies are for bench rest competiters and the likes. the precision dies bring the fired cases to a more precise and uniform size to give batch consistancy. probably something to do with internal case space and uniform pressures over all.

but like I said, I could be wrong.

I last reloaded for .223 and after experiencing some case splitting, picked up a case neck resizer. since all my rounds get fired in only one firearm it is unnecessary to full lenth resize the cases.

I did opt for a set of expensive carbide dies when I loaded competition .45 acp rounds. they were well worth the extra $$$ because they really allowed the cases to flow through the dies without hardly any resistance and the need to lubricate.

#8 ·
I have only used the carbide dies. So I could not comment on the rest. But I do think like everything on this world you get what you pay for. So I would say spend your once on a good product. And never worry about it again.

#10 ·
Yes, but it is typical with all cases that go through multiple full length case resizings. the process work hardens the cases and fatigues the case walls. by utilizing a case neck resizer you only open the mouth of the case to accept the new bullet there by leaving the case the same size as the chamber of the rifle it was fired from. you should only use this die if you are loading for one rifle as not all chambers are created equal and you could experience stuck cartridges when using in multiple rifles.

#11 ·
Have used about all of the dies made at one time or another, over the last 20 or so years and RCBS is as good as I have found. Unless you are going to be shooting Benchrest or other precise shooting, regular full length die sets are as good as you can get. RCBS has a lifetime guarantee and a Customer Service, that can't be beat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.