22LR Drought - Any Clearing? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Reloading
Reloading Discuss Bullets, Powders, Pellets, Brass, etc.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:25 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default 22LR Drought - Any Clearing?

Is anybody seeing stocks of 22LR on the LGS shelves that is persistent? We still get very spotty stocks up here that always sell out within hours if not days. Considering how the ammo companies all say they are working OT, we should have been/will be/will never be seeing 22LR again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2015, 07:40 PM

still seeing spotty also, limits on boxes when you do find some.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 AM
B&C 140 Class

Yea, considering that every ammo company says they are working 3 shifts trying to crank the stuff out for the last two years, it seems not to have gotten any better off. My LGS's get some in, limits of 1 to 2 boxes of 50 rounds, and then it's gone the next day.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
Yea, considering that every ammo company says they are working 3 shifts trying to crank the stuff out for the last two years, it seems not to have gotten any better off. My LGS's get some in, limits of 1 to 2 boxes of 50 rounds, and then it's gone the next day.
And there lies the problem, everyone is buying it up as soon as they see it so it looks to be in short supply, according to one article i read that said, it's being produced at a slightly increased rate but it's being purchased at 1000 times the normal rate, the result appears to be a constant shortage. if buyers would buy what they need rather than try and create a personal stock pile the shelves would show a normal inventory. I think this is the only problem right now with 22 ammo.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:36 AM

Also, it isn't the manufacturer putting a limit on what you can buy, those are store created policies to try and preserve their inventory for all of their customers and not allow one buyer to scoop it all up once it comes in.

Old 02-04-2015, 03:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
if buyers would buy what they need rather than try and create a personal stock pile ....
Define "what they need"? I can easily go thru 2 boxes of 22LR in 15 minutes or so and then shoot up some more from my "stash". So do I seek to replenish that stash whenever I can, since my normal useage far exceeds my ability to resupply? We as a family used to shoot a lot more, and now we can't. I spend 6 months trying to accumulate enough ammo to go to the range without touching my reserve supply. No one in their right mind would be shooting down reserves right now, since the day that you'll be able to stock back up is nebulous. 22's aren't like other centerfire cartridges. You can go thru a brick of 22's in a range session compared to one to two boxes of large caliber handgun ammo.

It's easy to say "don't hoard" and then spy two boxes of ammo on the shelf (limit is 1 per person) every 3 weeks.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:14 PM

I think it makes perfect sense to stock up whenever you can with whatever amount you want to spend. I don't see prices ever going down so economics say buy now if you need ammo. I think the debate is shooters vs hunters regarding sufficient reserves. I don't shoot hardly anything anymore except to sight-in, but it doesn't stop me from buying ammo at good prices and availability. I have a family member that probably has over 20K rounds of various ammo, he would say that's not enough! To each their own on this subject.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:16 AM

Oh I'm not saying don't stock up. I'm just saying right now that's what's causing the shortage on the shelves. Apparently Production on .22 ammo is slightly above normal so there's really no shortage there's just a buying frenzy we're all dealing with right now. when the frenzy slows up things will go back to normal....