Harsh HS Punishment?? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Non Hunting Topics and Classifieds > Pro Sports
Pro Sports Discuss your favorite (or least favorite) teams from the NFL, MLB, NHL, etc.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:06 PM
B&C 180 Class

Default Harsh HS Punishment??

Well, as I always do, I check Yahoo! news everyday to see what's been going on in the world and some of the stories are interesting. Since I coach basketball, I found the video they had posted somewhat interesting because the title of the Yahoo! story was "HARSH HS PUNISHMENT". This takes place in Georgia. If you read the story on Yahoo! it makes the young man out to be a saint and that the referee was absolutely wrong to call this call. Plus, it even mentions that with this being the state playoffs the refs should've known better than to call this.... like time of the year matters?
I have a problem with this. This is exactly the problem with our young kids today. There are adults backing them up for their every mistake. Adults there to tell them, it's ok, you didn't do anything wrong. I have a HUGE problem with this because someday, when they make a mistake, there won't be anyone there to tell them it's ok and that they didn't really do anything wrong. What are we teaching our kids by condoning these actions and this attitude?
Maybe I'm the only one who notices this,, but our teenagers and even younger kids these days have no sense of what is truly right or wrong. Remember when we'd cheat on a test and get a ZERO for the quarter and our parents got called and there was a HUGE meeting about it? Well that was because we did something W R O N G. Now days, it's "you cheated, but please don't do that again". and that's it. There's very little punishment anymore. There's very little consequence anymore for our young people. I have often wondered... what will this mean in about 20-30 years from now? What type of Americans are being raised and how will they act when they are adults?
This kid in the video did something wrong. He may be a great kid otherwise and make all straight A's- who knows. My point is, good kid or not, he did something stupid and knew NOT to do it, but did it anyways. In high school basketball you canNOT taunt in anyway. Which even means starring down opponents. It's not like the NBA- (that's a whole nother chapter in my book!) In this video, first off remember the kid ALREADY has one Technical foul in the game. You get two technical fouls and then you're ejected and you cannot play the next game. Well the first foul this kid got was from locking arms with an opponent and not letting go.. the ref called a double technical foul. Which is common because sometimes (like in the real world) two people need to be separated and be told THAT'S ENOUGH!
Now, having played basketball all my life and having coached it and even reffed it a little bit, it doesn't take a genious to know that a ref isn't just going to be handing out technical fouls right and left. These two kids had to have been going at it for sometime and probably received other fouls and/or warnings from the refs about that type of play. Which they more than likely ignored until two T's were handed out.
In this video, This kid goes up for a dunk and then positions himself in a way where his shoulder are pointing to the player he dunked over and gives a stare down. If I were the coach on the other team, I would definately be upset if this was not called... it is taunting all the way

OK,, off my soap box now.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 03:47 PM

Tator, I'm not much into basketball so my understanding of rules is almost nothing, but the foul seemed mild compared to other things happening in sports overall. I totally agree with you regarding kids not being taught right from wrong anymore. I could write pages of what's wrong with everything everywhere I look. Moral dysfunction has set in this country and Obama is the ring leader. If the president himself sets the standard the whole country looks at, how to be immoral, then what do we expect from our youth? The kids follow examples and mimic those in pro sports and leadership roles. I can read your frustration with today's youth sports and it's good to know people care!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:20 AM
B&C 120 Class

I actually had to look twice to see what the big deal was about, the second look I could see a definite "squaring off" and that "Yeah Dude" look he gave the other kid. I'm like HM, I don't know the rules on this either, but I know you do Tator boy, and you are correct, the rules are the rules and the young man chose to ignore them. As for everything else you said in your post on this, DOUBLE DITTO 150%!! Same for you HM, DOUBLE DITTO 150% on your post too. On another note, the day has finally come, Peyton's press conference at 11:00 am Central time, 12:00 noon Eastern time. The Colt's are totally banking on 1, getting Andrew Luck, and 2, banking on him just stepping in and playing like a 10 year veteran. Talk about putting ALL your eggs in one basket. At one time Peyton said he would redo his deal to be incentive based, but I guess he had second thoughts on that. What a shame they couldn't get something worked out so he could retire a Colt.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:19 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlightfield View Post
I actually had to look twice to see what the big deal was about, the second look I could see a definite "squaring off" and that "Yeah Dude" look he gave the other kid. I'm like HM, I don't know the rules on this either, but I know you do Tator boy, and you are correct, the rules are the rules and the young man chose to ignore them. As for everything else you said in your post on this, DOUBLE DITTO 150%!! Same for you HM, DOUBLE DITTO 150% on your post too. On another note, the day has finally come, Peyton's press conference at 11:00 am Central time, 12:00 noon Eastern time. The Colt's are totally banking on 1, getting Andrew Luck, and 2, banking on him just stepping in and playing like a 10 year veteran. Talk about putting ALL your eggs in one basket. At one time Peyton said he would redo his deal to be incentive based, but I guess he had second thoughts on that. What a shame they couldn't get something worked out so he could retire a Colt.

Very good choice of words "Squaring off". If you watch again, look at his coach in the background go NUTS after it happens. Great example for the kids to view. HM- it wasn't actually a "foul" persay, and often Technicals are not "contact" fouls... they are taunting, using their words, or cussing. Fighting can alos warrant a technical, but in this case, it was a clean play and a clean dunk, and no contact was made... so why the squaring off? What else do you have to prove? You are a HS kid who can dunk, you are a dime-a-dozen,,,, run your butt down the court and play defense now. It's a simple rule, and if refs bend, HS basketball will get out of hand.

As for Peyton... I'm not big on the colts as of late. They are REALLY taking a big chance. What if Peyton goes to another team and does AWESOME and Luck is NO LUCK after all? WOW --- the Packers did this, BUT Favre was a day-to-day guy and you didn't know how much longer he had-- Manning has alot of years left- i think. Luck has not proven himself in the NFL.... Rogers had learned and played in the NFL for numerous years... granted as a back-up, but still.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:34 AM
B&C 140 Class

Well Payton could go to the Vikings and play until he get injured. They seem to not want to develop their own quarterbacks!
daddus
Old 03-12-2012, 02:40 PM

Payton is going somewhere??? I hope he finishes his career without any further injury to his neck.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:46 AM
B&C 180 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Payton is going somewhere??? I hope he finishes his career without any further injury to his neck.

WOW! Out of respect.... no jokes will be made of your last post..... gramps!
Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
WOW! Out of respect.... no jokes will be made of your last post..... gramps!
I can't wait to see the response you get for that one Tator!!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:02 PM

Only one perfect man walked this earth, Tator, sorry!