Deer Hunting Forums banner

Peyton Manning's Future

9K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  tator 
#1 ·
Well now that all the S-Bowl hoopla is just about over, what does everybody think will happen with Peyton Manning? I guess he has just issued a statement saying that he would pretty much can his $28 million bonus and re-do a few things in order to stay with the Colts. Irsay would be nuts not to take him up on this, you can't just up and say that if you draft Andrew Luck your QB problems are solved. Luck hasn't proven a thing yet, and the jump from college to the NFL is like 10 light years. Look at how many college prodigies have fallen flat on their faces. Most of them!! Besides that, Luck has still to prove that he is even worthy of carrying Peyton's helmut around. Regardless, the Colts NEED to draft a QB anyway 'cause Peyton, even if he can play, is nearing the end of his career 'cause of age, it is time for the Colts to plan for the future of their QB situation.

#2 ·
I absolutely agree with you Tom 100%. There are many times when college players are totally awesome in college and when they get to the pros they either can't handle the pressure, or they just FLOP. The sad thing is, this happens ALOT with QB's.

As far as Peyton is concerned with the whole contract talk== I like him alot for doing this. He's a team player and he realizes it's not all about him. He doesn't want to go somewhere else because of money issues. He's there for the fans, he's there for the team and most importantly he's there for his family because he doesn't want to move them all around. He's truely a MAN. (Sure wish I could say this about Albert Pujols who I loved watching and he was my #1 player to watch on MY STL CARDINALS! but NO, he sold out and it was all about the money. Pujols WAS like Manning before his departure from STL. But not anymore.)

The best thing for Andrew Luck is to sit and watch Peyton for 5-7 years and LEARN the true role of QB at the next level. Will he be a good QB? I have no doubt... but why chance it. I think the Colts will take Peyton up on this offer for one reason. If they let him go, then Luck flops, they will be the laughing stock of the NFL, the country, and the world! Because I guarantee you one thing, IF Peyton is forced to leave, he WILL rebound and he WILL bounce back with a vengence and make the Colts look absolutely stupid for letting him go.

But you are right also when you say the Colts need to draft Luck. That's a no-brainer. They would be absolutely dumb if they didn't. This could turn out to be a Joe Montana/Steve Young thing... or even better a Brett Favre/Aaron Rogers thing. I think they'll make the right choice.

#6 ·
After 3 neck proceedures Peyton is one hit from a carear ending event..... Peyton's neck is damaged and do you take the medical risk? I say use him to train and keep him off the field.
Im still calling he retires before the season starts!

True- but who's to say he doesn't come back and play another 10 years and not have one single injury every again? Seriously... He's not going to retire. I think he'd risk being paralized the rest of his life before retiring young. Look at his family,,, they are football fanatics. They live and breath football. I truely think he'll be fine, and as a matter of fact, HIS doctors DID release him to play- the COLTS are the ones dropping the ball on this saying THEIR doctors haven't cleared him. I guarantee you Peyton's doctors know 1,000% more then the Colts doctor does.

#5 ·
Would love to see him come back and would assume like tator said the colts will want him there.

I am like HM though. If the docs hesitated at all about releasing him back to football I would have to say dont risk it and retire. For awhile now I have been predicting his retirement and thus his recruitment to head coach TN. (which he will not do)

Im still calling he retires before the season starts!

#9 ·
It's kinda hard to say how this will turn out, there is a lot to be considered, Peyton has an IQ much greater than 4 which means he most assuredly has TONS of dough left(unlike a lot of his constituents). He wants to come back and play, he is not ready to throw in the towel, money is not the issue with him. He has already said that he would pretty much ---can his $28 mill bonus and re-do his yearly contract to stay with the Colts. If he gives up enough money, Irsay will most defenitely keep him and instantly have the money(and plenty of it) to get Andrew Luck signed. Then Irsay will have the finest QB deal since Joe Montana/Steve Young. The biggest problem with the whole deal is Peyton gonna be able to play, and I mean effectively, this year? The Colts most certainly cannot tolerate another season of Kerry Collins, and I would most certainly NOT put all my eggs in one basket with A. Luck, he has not even taken an NFL snap yet for pete's sake! So there is a lot that needs to be seen yet. Irsay and Manning were supposed to meet this week, but so far not and it is the end of the week already. That's it, I can't type anymore.

#11 ·
well all i can say is that it would be a horrible shame if he couldn't ever play again. It'll always be "what if" with him.... he truely is one of (if not THE greatest QB) of all time. I personally put him at the top of the list,,, and numero uno on my list

#13 ·
I'm not talking statistically though... I'm just saying BEST QB's of all time. Peyton would be my top pick.

1. Peyton Manning
2. Joe Montana
3. Brett Favre
4. Joe Namith
5. Eli Manning
6. Dan Marino
7. John Elway
8. Steve Young
9. Bart Starr
10. Tom Brady

#20 ·
Because I'm a hopelessly optimistic UT Vols fan, I do hope that he somehow ends up at UT. I hate his career looks to be cut short, but I would love to see him be the Offensive Coordinator/Head Coach at UT in a few years. This, IMHO, would basically guarantee us top tier recruiting from here on out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.