Deer Hunting Forums banner

A Piece of baseball history...

6K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  turner 
#1 ·
Some of you may have heard me mention the Baseball before and perhaps wondered what I was babbling about. I have put it, officially, up for sale and here is what that company has chosen to say/show about our family's baseball....

Click on the smaller picture in the page to see the next one. I'll simply say this... I got goosebumps anytime I so much as simply spoke about it. I felt it, perhaps, the most unique baseball ever signed. But, the thing that makes me quiver even now, is that I actually held a baseball signed by perhaps the greatest pitcher AND the greatest hitter to have ever stepped on a baseball field.

I have been a big baseball fan for a very long time, but the idea of what this ball is/was is simply too much for me to gather.

I hope you all enjoy the story of what this baseball was/is.

C

Extraordinary Christy Mathewson Signed Ball with Babe Ruth and the 1934 New York Giants

Thanks,
Ed

See less See more
#5 ·
It belongs to our family and the other heirs to the estate that it passed through. I sent it one month ago to the auction house. Previously, I researched the history of the ball and contacted that auction company and then contracted with them to sell it by 7 May in their once a year auction.

Because the baseball was already 100 years old, we figured it would likely gain little additional value. Also it was valuable enough that it has been kept in a safe deposit box the last few years. Leaving it out in the sunlight to simply enjoy is risky also, because of the harm the light does with signatures that old. All signatures are figured to be between 100+ and 70+ years old.

Something else you might find interesting is the fact that if no other signatures had ever been added to the original ball with Mathewson's signature, the ball would now be worth much more as a single signature basball (Christy Mathewson). Within the last 3-4 years a similar ball with only Mathewson's signature sold for over $150,000.

The addition of the other signatures actually lessens the value of the ball even though there are at least four additional Hall of Fame players' signatures included, among them Babe Ruth. The auction house seems to think this may be the only baseball in existence with both Babe Ruth's and Christy Mathewson's signature on it though. They are two of the original five players inducted initially into the baseball HOF in 1936.

#7 ·
I have a hard time believing the ball is only on reserve for $5,000. Turner... what's this ball appraised at? I also don't see how a ball with more signatures on it would be worth less... that may be so, i'm not doubting you, but the whole idea seems very odd. For example, if I had a basketball with Michael Jordan's auto on it it'd be valuable. But if I had the whole dream team from barcelona on there too, it'd be worth a HECK of alot more. Not sure why this isn't true in this case....

#8 · (Edited)
I have a hard time believing the ball is only on reserve for $5,000. Turner... what's this ball appraised at? I also don't see how a ball with more signatures on it would be worth less... that may be so, i'm not doubting you, but the whole idea seems very odd. For example, if I had a basketball with Michael Jordan's auto on it it'd be valuable. But if I had the whole dream team from barcelona on there too, it'd be worth a HECK of alot more. Not sure why this isn't true in this case....
All I can tell you is what the experts have told me and also what my research has shown me. I spent two years researching value and determining what a price might be. There's a link below about a single signature "Mathewson" ball and also a single signature "Ruth" ball. I can assure you that the auction house's $$ is also directly linked to the ultimate sales price and they have a marked interest in seeing it sell high.

When I first saw the signatures, I felt the same as you, that it's worth much more the way it is. But, it's simply not. The older memorabelia is quite different from new stuff as well. I spoke personally with the three of the biggest auction houses and all were very adament about the lessor value. It is also quite easy to see that if one does any real research. Again, simply pull up the link below. I actually spoke several times with the auction house (listed below) that sold the very expensive single signature "Mathewson".

Also note this quote from within the link:
"A true Christy Mathewson single-signed baseball is among the scarcest of all autographed relics in the industry," H&S wrote in it's description and that proved to be true.

The information from last year's auction shows most all items sold for 4 to 5 times the reserve price. Most items also have an expected sales price listed as well and this does not, mainly because that don't know what the value actually is (it's impossible to get a definitive value from any appraisor, as it's simply too unique a piece). The ball was insured for $25,000. while in transit. We expect it to sell for much more than the insured value.

One last thing, last year's auction saw no baseball with as high a reserve as this one. A baseball signed by the 1937 World Series champion N.Y. Yankess containing both Dimaggio's and Gehrig's signature had a reserve of only $500. and sold for about 5X that amount.

Last year they sold over 1700 items in their once a year auction and this year this ball was chosen as one of fifteen items they used to preview this year's auction, which starts in less than one week.

Vintage Signed Mathewson Baseball Sells for $161K | Sports Collectors Daily

#9 ·
An update on the baseball and the auction with about 4 days remaining. Our baseball is the highest bidded baseball in the auction at this time at $11,000. The next closest baseballs are two single signature "Ruths" and a single signature "Gehrig". Highest among those three sits at $8500. now.

As a matter of comparison, team baseballs signed by 1955 A.L. Champion N.Y. Yankees including Mantle and Berra in the sweet spot sits at $400., one signed by the 1955 World Series Champion L.A. Dodgers is at $1800 and 1956 & 1958 World Series Champion N.Y. Yankees (again with Mantle and Berra on the sweet spot) $800 & $450, respectively. A 1959 World Series Champions L.A. Dodgers is at $400.

The highest overall bidded items so far include an Honus Wagner card at $150,000., a Shoeless Joe Jackson card at $130,000., and a Gehrig jersey & bat, both at $90,000. each. There are a total of 1700 items in the auction.

#13 ·
looked at a lot of the items for sale & still amazes me what kind of $$ people will pay for stuff luckily I have a wayne Gretzky Rookie card in mint shape but I am holding on to it for now even though I only paid like $.25 for the pack in 1979

#15 · (Edited)
OH MY Yes it is I thought they were going for about 3K guess I better have it appraised
I actually bought a case of cards & never opened half the packs till a couple years ago & found it
I immediately put it in a case & stored it away looks like it may be time to buy that new Harley

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.