Almost finished - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Pictures
Pictures Show off your new gun, truck, or your own mug shot in this forum for miscellaneous pics.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 PM

buffed and then polished. I think I will be using some more ironwood in the future as I enjoy nice wood. What do you think of the ironwood and damascus combination?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (99.0 KB, 5 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 07:27 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
buffed and then polished. I think I will be using some more ironwood in the future as I enjoy nice wood. What do you think of the ironwood and damascus combination?
I think that the Iron wood and Damascus blend very well together. It's almost like they were made to match. For real eye-catching though, I find that using contrasting materials set things apart and make them stand out. I think that is one thing that makes wood so appealing, the natural contrasts in the grain. That is also why I like to use brass fittings instead of stainless or nickle. The brass contrasts with the color of the blade. I've mixed black micarta with white or red spacers or mosaic pins with red filler. A bone, antler or white micarta handle on a Damascus blade would look really cool.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:56 PM

I hope to advance to adding things to the handles. Here is the other damascus blade. I used some of the walnut on hand. I thought the stainless would better match the blade. Are you saying to color match more to the handle?? I have to order a few more blades now so I will take a rest and think out my next ones. I have more buffing to go but worked most of day on the little guy today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001 (3).jpg (96.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 PM
B&C 120 Class

Well first off, I think that yours look great as they are. Typically though I try to use contrasting colors unless someone asks for something specific. For instance with a Damascus blade I would use a light colored handle material like bone. With a stainless blade I like to use dark colored handles like Cocobolo or black micarta.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:48 AM

I want to try different handle material. I wanted to put some antler pieces in the last two handles but just haven't advanced to that point for fear of ruining the whole thing and starting over. I thought about a slice between the front and rear wood pieces?? As I said before I'm not very good at seeing something in my head and then making it. I have to just start shaping and see what happens. Anyway it is fun to play with knives. probably wouldn't be a bad idea to purchase a book that shows varous knives just for ideas.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:23 AM
B&C 120 Class

Really nice work HM. I always loved that swirl look of Damascus, and that wood you selected is gorgeous.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:15 AM

TLF, thanks for the kind comments!