Knife Pics - Page 5 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Pictures
Pictures Show off your new gun, truck, or your own mug shot in this forum for miscellaneous pics.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:42 PM
B&C 120 Class

I'll take a few pics of buffers that I have made. It doesn't take much. I've seen them made from old dryer motors. You can even make them from a wood lathe if you have one. The other option is to just keep sanding it with finer and finer grit by hand. I've done this down to 1000 grit and it works just as well as a buffer. It just takes more elbow grease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2012, 08:26 AM

Going out today and look for hobby type buffers, wheels, compounds ect. I always wanted one so now I have a reason. I see E-bay has plenty if I can't find one at a reasonable price.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:55 AM
B&C 120 Class

When I was about 16 years old, I was given three old farm motors. I bought some arbor adapters for about $5 each and have been using them for over 20 years now. They work great. Just be sure to put thread locker on the set screws.

Amazon.com: Motor Arbor Adaptor: Home Improvement
Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 AM
B&C 120 Class

I thought that I should say a bit about buffer safety. They look harmless and a lot of people don't realize how dangerous they are. The unique danger with cotton buffing wheels is how "grabby" they are. They will literally grab your knife out of your hands and throw it right through you. One friend of mine had his knife get shot through the wall of his shop and into the next room.

Hold the knife in a "break-away" grip. Don't get your fingers wrapped around it or worse yet, through any holes in the steel. It could break your fingers if the wheel catches on the knife and tries to pull it out of your hands.

Be sure the wheel is spinning toward you from the top. Then use the bottom half or third of the radius. That way if it does get thrown, it will get thrown down and away from you. If you try to use the top of the wheel, it will get thrown right at you.

Buff the bottom half of the knife, then turn it over and buff the top half. What I mean by this is that you don't want to give the cotton a 90 degree angle that it can grab onto.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:20 PM
B&C 120 Class

Here is another option if you already have a lathe.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:07 PM

Went the cheap route for now and purchased several buffing wheels that fit my vari-speed drills and just clamped the drills in the vices. I started buffing the first knife and found out the wheels can indeed be dangerous. The wheels are turning towards me like DVW advises. I used goat skin gloves to help protect the old hands! I used two different rouge compounds red and green and really didn't know what the heck I was doing. I have more hours to go but started the second smaller knife today and got the handle installed. I have to say I've enjoyed the quiet time in the garage and maybe in the future improve on my talent. One of these will go my son as a gift from DAD and the other I'd like to use on my next deer????? Anyway, long post but just wanted to say these are nice projects to pass the winter days and hopefully, something to be used. The larger knife is now shaving sharp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (31.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-05-2012, 10:11 PM

I've got an old Baldor (spell) buffer but the brushes are nearly gone. It has a 2 speed motor and 1/4" shaft that maybe I could get repaired?? It would be ideal for this kind of work.

Last edited by Hunting Man; 02-06-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:25 PM

Tried to get a better shot of the smaller knife handle but this camera just won't do much. The handles are pretty basic but you have to start some where. I like the darker walnut of the smaller knife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (38.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-05-2012, 11:51 PM
B&C 120 Class

Wow, those are looking great and are coming together quickly. I'm glad that you were willing to give it a try. It is a very pleasant and rewarding hobby that can be started with a minimal amount of tools. Now you need to make a sheath
Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 AM

One of my buddies from NC does some leather work, maybe I could get him to make a couple?? Me, the only leather I'm interested in still has the hair attached.