Deer Hunting Forums banner

Knife Pics

25K views 144 replies 6 participants last post by  lonehunter 
#1 ·
Just thought I would post a few pics of knives now and then. Here are a few "kit" knives meaning that I bought the blades and just finished them. I thought that they would make good boning knives. Buying the blades makes it inexpensive and fast to put together. These are made from AUS-8A stainless steel and the six inch blade is very flexible. The handle materials are canvas micarta, wood, and black paper micarta.

See less See more
#93 ·
Along with the two blades from Texas knife supply I won two damascus (spell ?) today on e-bay so I think a black or black/mottled gray handle would look great. I may have a lead on a planner and band saw, which I could use. While the tools come at a death of the lady's husband I hope to be able to carry on his tradition and put them to use. Probably won't know for a week or more.

#96 ·
This is one of the larger skinning knives that I have made. The blade is 7.5 inches long with an over all of 10.25 inches. It is made made from 1/8 inch thick D2. The handle is elk antler and the fittings are dovetailed stainless. It is the first of two that a friend of mine at work asked for. He hopes to use it on a buffalo this year.

#98 ·
This is about the largest drop point hunting knife that I have made. The blade is 5.25 inches long by 1/8 inch thick D2. The overall length of the knife is 9.75 inches. The guard is of brass and the rivets are Loveless style bolts that create a nice bulls-eye effect. Handle material is jigged buffalo bone. The hole in the handle is for securing it to the sheath and it is lined with a 223 shell. It is the first of two such knives that I am making for my Dad.

#101 ·
Beautiful work. Handmade knives are so cool. I especially like the handle with the finger slots DVW, they just plain feel good when you grab them and are so comfy when you are using them. That walnut you have is exquisite HM. Looks every bit as good as No. 1 Fancy Grade on an expensive trap gun stock.

#109 ·
Here is yet another micarta skinning knife for a friend at work. It is made from 1/8 inch thick D2 with brass bolt style rivets and a .22 magnum shell. The sheath was made by my buddy Jeff Hays.

I've already shown pictures of this knife, but Jeff finished the sheaths for it. He really does some nice work.

#112 · (Edited)
This is the most recent one. That's a thumb smudge on the blade, sorry. I need to remove some unwanted glue and am having a tough time with it as you can see along the blade and handle area. Tried finger nail polish remover, not mine, but it didn't work. Still have a little bit of finish work and it will be done. Something different!! I had my son design a logo for me so now I need to find someone to make it, looks pretty cool. I'll try to post a picture of it later.

Attachments

#115 ·
That is really looking nice! You have a great eye.

Ah yes, the extra epoxy where the handle and blade meet. The best way to deal with this is to keep it from happening. Like lonehunter said, wipe it off before it cures. Once I get the handle all clamped up and the epoxy is done oozing out I wipe it down well in that area.

However, if you end up with epoxy there (and there always seems to be some on there no matter how careful you are) you can usually get it off. The first thing I try is to use a toothpick. Not those cheap flat ones that break, but the nice strong round ones. I can usually scrape off the extra epoxy with one of those and the toothpick won't scratch the knife blade. If there is too much epoxy for the toothpick, you can CAREFULLY use the tip of a small, sharp pocket knife to scrape/cut the extra epoxy. The other thing I have successfully used for this my buffer. You just need to make sure that the buffer doesn't scratch the blade either. My advantage is that I polish my own blades. That way I simply use the same buff and rouge for removing the epoxy as I used on my last blade polishing step.

Be careful using chemicals to remove the epoxy. If you find a chemical that removes the epoxy from the blade, it can remove the epoxy from between the wood and the knife tang if you get too much on there.

Just finished this one. It's another kit knife for a friend.

#116 ·
HM, that is an awesome looking knife, I think you may have the natural knack for the hobby of knife making. Good Job !!! :thumbup::thumbup:

DVW your knife is awesome too!!! I'm on a break from knife making myself, thanks to a Flu that came to visit but I'm looking forward to getting on my next knife soon.

#118 ·
Spent the day in S. Ohio at a speciality wood shop and came home with some really wild looking exotic handle material. I'll post a couple of pictures later as I'm now waiting for blades to arrive. Was a 12 hour day down and back. I have a couple of the English damascas (spell)? blades heading my way and a woodsman blade that looks like the old Sharp Finger model. Good time to clean the shop area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.