Knife Pics - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Pictures
Pictures Show off your new gun, truck, or your own mug shot in this forum for miscellaneous pics.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:23 AM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
I see it's up for donation. If you feel like selling it and donating the money send me a price quote and lets see if we can make a deal. Very nice knife!
Thanks,
I'd be up for that. I sent you a PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 09:17 PM
B&C 120 Class

Here is the bottom knife in the picture of six. It has an elk antler handle. I hope to get two more done tomorrow.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:55 AM

Very nice looking. I love knives period. How many hours are involved from start to finish? I got your pm regarding the other knife,
Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 AM
B&C 120 Class

Let me know what you decide. I don't mind either way. but I need to let the church know if it will be in the listing or not.

As far as number of hours goes, it all depends. The steel work is anywhere from less than an hour to three or four hours depending on they type and thickness of the steel and the complexity of the shape/grind. The handle is generally two to four hours for the same reasons. Any type of brass or stainless guard will add an hour or two. None of this is counting the heat treat time which can take from one to four weeks, or the epoxy cure time which is 24 hours. If I purchase a sheath that is pre-made but unfinished, it takes me about an hour to finish it not counting drying time. If I make a leather sheath from scratch, it takes me about four hours to build it not counting drying time. I can make a nice leather sheath, but I am not very fast at it. Therefore I like to buy them if I can.

So to answer your question, it takes anywhere from 3 to 14 hours of my time to build a knife from scratch. That is why the simple kit knives are so easy. There is no steel work and the handles are basic. I can have one done in a couple of hours and only invest about $30.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:22 PM
B&C 120 Class

Two more done. These are in the picture of six as well.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:05 PM

The top one reminds me of the old Shrade sharp finger or little finger design I think they called it. Both are nice working man models, congrats !
Old 01-29-2012, 09:44 PM
B&C 120 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
The top one reminds me of the old Shrade sharp finger or little finger design I think they called it. Both are nice working man models, congrats !
I actually designed it from the Schrade Sharp Finger. It is a little different so I could grind it from 1" wide steel. The original Sharp finger needed wider steel. My Grandfather had one and he liked the shape, but he didn't think that it held a very good edge. This was my solution. I generally make them out of D2 (like this one is) or CPM S-30V, and they hold a very good edge that way.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:26 PM

Here's the hunting side of my knives. Swiss army was my Dad's as well as the small folder next to it. Bottom one is Army issue and for home defense
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (82.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 PM
B&C 120 Class

Nice! I really like those three hunting knives that are grouped together on the upper left side.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 PM

The top left knife is my primary boning knife. The third knife down on the left is a handle from my Hawken rifle project and is maple. I wanted a simple looking knife to tag along with the flintlock rifle. Favorite knife is the fourth knife down on the left a Wilderness knife works model with a nice walnut handle, good balance and hefty steel. These are made in Rapid River in the UP of Michigan. One of the owners I believe worked for Marbles Knife Co and started his own shop. These are nice quality knives, but very affordable for hunters, running about $100.00 when I purchased it.