Deer Hunting Forums banner

sparring

4K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·

See less See more
#11 ·
Hm, i hunt in the northern part of the adirondak mountains in n.y..its a nice spot my father inlaw ownes 487acres that him and i hunt on.but where i am is about 200yrds from a huge swamp and 100yrds from a big wild apple orchard and they are loaded with apples this year!! I'm nestled right in the middle.mixed hard wood and pine.

#12 · (Edited)
WF, While in PA last week the old apple orchard was nearly barren. They were hit with a late spring freeze and killed most of the buds. Acorn crop looks very good. Sounds like a dream hunting area in NY you got with some nice bucks. Family hunting, it just doesn't get any better than that! I did locate a few really nice rubs indicating multi-branched antlers. I'm set up on a natural funnel that separates two rock faces. I have a mountain stream to my south 100 yds and two laural thickets to my east & west. There must be 6 major travel paths converging into the funnel which is only 40-50 yds and necks down to 30 yds wide. The travel routes are all N to S patterns. I will be set up in the middle/edge of the funnel in 3 hemlocks for coverage/camo. This is only 30 yds from where I had an encounter last year with a nice 8 pt, but gives me a better control of the funnel.

#13 ·
Sounds like you have a great spot as well!! Do you have a camera out there?you would be suprized what you got going by your stand!!
Yeah its alot of acerage for just 2 people but theres not much hunting pressure.i only been hunting there for 4 yrs now had a few chances to shoot a big one but things happen to fast and i wasn't ready lol.they just popped out and didn't stick around.ipreyyt set up this year i did some thinning and clearing so now i will be able to at least see them comming.

#14 ·
no cameras as i just don't get there much to view them. I suspose I could just let the camera run till it died and collect the card when I do get there and see what I've been missing. My son and I just went in together on a video camera to try and capture a harvest(s) and he has several cameras out down in S.Ohio at the college hunting area.

#17 ·
I was talking with a couple hunters yesterday (Sept. 26th.) at a Flea market very trusted hunters not story tellers in the least, one of them saw 2 young bucks sparring on his way to the flea market around 8am.

Now along with Whitetailfever's pics this makes the 3rd sparring event i've already heard about this year. :w00t:

#18 ·
Now that I think about one of my other posts, PA is about 2 weeks early for the fall color changes maybe Mother Nature has another something different for us to figure out/see this fall. The September sparring just seems early, heck they should still be buddies prior to the pre-rut activities?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.