My new toy - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Pictures
Pictures Show off your new gun, truck, or your own mug shot in this forum for miscellaneous pics.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Scrub Buck

Default My new toy

Here is my new toy. My brother neede some cash so I bought this used knight disc for 100 bucks. Didi I get a good deal? What grain powder and bullets go good in this gun?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1962.JPG (129.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1963.JPG (123.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1964.JPG (115.5 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 01:51 PM

$100.00 nice, took advantage of brother's misfortune did you! I assume its a 50 cal and takes a 209 primer?? Two 50gr pellets, like Triple Seven, and pick a couple of brands of saboted bullets like TC shock waves or Knight brand, maybe Power Belts. Try a couple of different grain bullets to see which your new toy likes best. I'd set it for 1" high dead center at 100 yds. Thats a nice set up with the Bushnel scope. Give it a good cleaning and enjoy!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks it is 50. cal only thing I see wrong with it is that it does need a good cleaning. How hard are these to clean?
Old 06-25-2009, 03:13 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default cleaning

I clean my muzzle loader with hot soapy water I mean boiling hot I take a cleaning rod with a piece of an old teeshirt and wet it I take the nipple an breach plug out and hold the breach end in the pot of water and pump the cleaning rod up and down the up stroke pulls the water up the down pushes it out forcefully. Then I take boiling water an pour through the barrel to rinse then let air dry, once dry I run a patch down the barrel with bore butter, or wonder lube on it. You might say water on a gun but the boiling hot water evoparates so fast it won't cause rust, plus oil an black powder don't mix your gun will end up not shooting if you put oil in the barrel on the outside is fine. I would buy a new nipple every year an keep the breach plug greased with a special breach plug grease. Goodluck and happy hunting.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:31 PM
B&C 180 Class

first thing ya got to do is remove the breech plug if the wasnt cleaned you may have a hard time getting that thing out.Black powder makes rust overnight,always clean it after shooting it.i would totally tear down the gun and clean everything Go to the knight website see if they got the manual for download or ask for one they are free.if the gun was stored dirty 10$ says the barrel is rusted and possible pitted.make sure the gun is empty then shine a light up the barrel and inspect it.good luck with your new toy BP is fun but you have to do the work.I did the work for ya heres the link http://www.knightrifles.com/instructionmanual/default
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky

Last edited by joel the signman; 06-25-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:48 PM

good post there joel, I would add that with all the new products out there for cleaning I did away with the hot soapy water cleaning. I use TC wet patches and a brass brush then dry patches for the barrel then Rem oil to put a light final moisture barrier. I agree to remove the breach plug and clean each part including the striker. Light amount of thread grease for the threads.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:43 AM

I shot a knight several years back and I do believe it liked Hornady bullets pretty well. I'd stay away from powerbelts with that gun. I don't think you would be happy with the accuracy.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:44 PM
B&C 100 Class

Default New toy

I would not use rem ol in the barrel becauseit can cause a hang fire an as far as the new cleaning products I have tried many of them an I find you can't beat the hot soapy water for cutting the crud left behind from black powder and pyrodex. They used this method for 250 yrs or more they used it in civil war, my father used it an his an his before him. You just got to make sure it is hot enough to heat the metal up so the water will quickly evaporate, I would still you use bore butter instead of any kind of oil. You wont get those nasty hang fires with it. Keep the oil on the outside if you want a good working dependable muzzleloader.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:16 PM
B&C 180 Class

i apply a thin coat of oil for storage purposes to prevent rust ,but i always run a dry patch down the barrel when it comes out of the case.My uncle uses a mix of soapy water murphy oil and peroxide,he does that cowboy shooting and swears by that mix,me i just use that cva cleaner that come's in a tube works fine and a lot easier than getting a tub and pots of water but to each his own
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 06-28-2009, 01:03 PM

New cleaning products do work as well or better than soap and water, and isn't as messy. If you don't coat the barrel wih something you won't have a barrel left to worry about cleaning. As far as the civil war methods of cleaning, I got past that many years ago. Always run dry patches prior to loading and snap a cap if using them. Rem oil is a great firearm product! Over the past 30 years of blackpowder shooting I've tried just about every product out there, I think TC products are very good and coupled with Rem oil and your guns are good to go.