mineral block mayhem - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > Pictures
Pictures Show off your new gun, truck, or your own mug shot in this forum for miscellaneous pics.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:27 PM
B&C 120 Class

Default mineral block mayhem

okay maybe not mayhem but they destroyed a 25 lb block in about 3 weeks is that normal... well i put out a 50 lb block and the trail cam so hopefully i can get some idea of whats around there they have dug a 12-15 in hole around the block.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0391.JPG (128.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM0390.JPG (128.3 KB, 8 views)
Jesus Said "come with me and i will make you fishers of men" matt 4:19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 01:02 PM

I would say that you have a lot of deer in your area and they need those minerals...
Old 02-03-2009, 11:11 PM
B&C 180 Class

everybody loves those things .when it was legal i put them out and the bears and the porcupines destroyed them before the deer
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
B&C 120 Class

do yall think it would be wise to keep putting them out them or just letting them fend for themselves i mean do you think that it would be unhealthy for the animals i dont want them to over eat or anything like that ive heard that sometimes that stuff like that can cause overeating and sickness within a herd?? any thoughts
Old 02-04-2009, 05:55 AM
B&C 160 Class

That looks like a trophy rock or something similar and I have never heard that they can get to much. I think there can be problems with piles of corn or something like that but not a salt rock.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:02 AM
B&C 120 Class

it was probably corn that i heard too. it is a trophy rock but i was looking at ingredients and i think that regular livestock blocks are just as good i may try one of those and see how it works any suggestions. the livestock ones are a lot cheaper.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:46 PM
B&C 180 Class

the trophy rock can concentrate them in the one spot which isnt healthy a better alternative is to use the powdered mix that you add to the ground.whitetail institute sells it by the bag
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhuntin' soldier View Post
it was probably corn that i heard too. it is a trophy rock but i was looking at ingredients and i think that regular livestock blocks are just as good i may try one of those and see how it works any suggestions. the livestock ones are a lot cheaper.
I think that a livestock block would do just as good....or just try it out and see what happens...I know for a fact that the deer in my area use our cattle's block well they only use the Trace Mineral block
Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 PM

using Blocks for wildlife is really a bad idea. All diseases can be spread thru Saliva. sharing foods especially salt/mineral blocks is the one thing you want to try to avoid. without going into a lot of detail about CWD, Chronic wasting disease is the one disease you dont want your deer to get CWD is similar to mad cow disease or Bovine Spongiform Encepholopathy (BSE) just ask any farmer how serious BSE is. If states keep allowing blocks to be used in their woods they're only playing roulette with their wildlife. BUT if it's legal in your area and you can use it then by all means use it as you please because if anything happens you're only hurting your own hunting areas because if your area becomes infected with CWD, CWD stems from prions.

Prions are NOT DESTROYED by fire, nor by freezing, nor by disinfectants, nor by operating room sterilization procedures, nor by incineration, nor by intense radiation.
In fact, scientists and government agencies HAVE NOT FOUND ANY WAY TO DESTROY THEM!!

Do you want to risk bringing them into your hunting area???

Old 02-04-2009, 06:02 PM

Great post Bruce.