Deer Hunting Forums banner

Age?

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  joel the signman 
#1 ·
I need some help aging this 10 point buck. . . . . . . . . . . .:confused:

See less See more
#3 ·
Howdy EastTexasDroptine, first let me say I love all the pics you post, keep them coming...
There's only one way to age a Whitetail Deer accurately and that's by their teeth.
A deer can't be aged by it's weight, size, antlers or coloring.
So anything anyone says about a deers age without using their teeth to determine the age is merely a guess as to how old that particular deer is.
Here is a link if you're interested in seeing how a deer is aged by it's teeth.

Whitetail Ageing

My GUESS on your 10 pointer in the picture is 3 1/2 years old.

#5 ·
another thing is northern deer tend to get heavy coats and fat layers.but your feeding em so its a push.i would say thats a 21/2 to 3 yr old deer.like bruce said teeth are the only true test so let me shoot em and ill give ya the jaw bones:lol:

#8 ·
also look at the ears and the rack too small

#13 ·
Sorry Droptine, almost got caught up debating how you should manage your deer. You seem to be quite involved and will have no problem making your own decisions. You simply asked for opinions on age so you could decide for yourself and the general guess seems to be around 3 1/2 without use of teeth. Again Good luck and congratulations you seem to be doing a fine job managing the herd on your own.:coffee:

#15 ·
good for you .or as oprah would say"YOU GO GIRL":w00t::lol::lol::lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.