Deer Hunting Forums banner

Finally found my trail cams...

7K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
My trail cameras were temporarily lost as we are in the middle of a move, but I found them last weekend. Here are some of the first week's pics. Well, the better bucks anyway.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
thanks guys, but I'm afraid no one hunts my "honey hole" but me. I need all the chances I can get with the recurve! Can't wait until October. I will attach a couple pics of these setups in the daylight so you can see more of the area. I would really like to see that deer in pic #2 with another year's growth, but I'm not sure I could pass it up this year. Hopefully I will get the chance to make that decision. How old do you guys think that deer is? What do you think it will score this year?

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
I was thinking he was a 3.5 y/o. I sure would like to have a pic showing his spread. That would help in figuring out the score. Bucks in this area tend to go wide, so it wouldn't surprise me to see this deer at or near 20" inside. He looks suspiciously like the buck in my profile pic that is about 24" inside. Maybe this week I will get some more pics of him. Here's my calculations on what I think he might score:

Main beams: 21 x 2 = 42
G1: 4 x 2 = 8
G2: 7 x 2 = 14
G3: 9 x 2 = 18
G4: 5 x 2 = 10
Total mass: 25
Inside spread: 18

Grand total: 135

#19 ·
I wouldn't pass on him, I'm not a trophy hunter. If I had a good private area that I knew a buck like that would make it till the next year then my thoughts would be different. Ohio does have some great bucks, I just haven't run into one yet. Most of my hunting has been in PA where any legal buck was good. Those two bucks my son has taken are nice bucks from S. Ohio.

#23 ·
I can't make up my mind on this dumb deer. I can't seem to locate the giant that my wife saw a month ago. I think I might have to kill this guy if he gives me a chance. I know I can move almost a quarter of a mile down the trail he is coming in on in the am. this should be a perfect spot/time to catch him off guard.

#24 ·
I think I will go out and move the cameras tomorrow. I should have done it yesterday when I checked them, but it was almost too late to be in there anyway. I will let these places rest until the wind is right to go in hunting. Opening day is saturday, and I need to check out a few more spots to have every wind direction covered. There is a good spot that needs to be checked out not far from my house that the land owner is getting ready to put cattle into. I talked to him yesterday and it sounds like I will have two weekends (well, one and a half) to hunt this before he moves in the crazy bovines.

#27 · (Edited)
This buck has been named Shane's target. After much thought and frustration, I have decided that although it is still a little too small for my wall Shane would love to shoot that deer, and it would easily be his biggest. He shot his first buck last year. Youth gun season is sometime in october...we will try to hold him around there until then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.