Maine bear hunt - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Non Hunting Topics and Classifieds > Outfitters, Hunts, Guide Service and Leases
Outfitters, Hunts, Guide Service and Leases Find your next hunt here! Landowners, Outfitters and commercial hunts are welcome as well as trail cam pics and videos from your hunting property

Old 05-27-2011, 02:41 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Maine bear hunt

I'm looking for any recommendations for a September 2011 bear hunt in Maine. I've been to Maine several years deer hunting and two for bear, but no rug yet

Anyone who might have used a good guide/outfitter or knows someone who has, please let me know.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Scrub Buck

I want to know more inormation about this topic.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:09 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Maine bear

Well, I have booked my September hunt already now and will be hunting 12-16 September near Dover-Foxcroft, Me. I got a couple of emails from other guides with open dates and if you'd like to PM me I'd be happy to provide you with names & numbers.

Generally speaking, a guided Maine bear hunt over bait will cost you from $1,000-$2000. Most run $1200-$1600. The price differences revolve around accomodations (provided or not) and meals (same). I've only hunted where accomodations were provided and have done it both ways; cooking our own meals and also being supplied them at the camp.

Some very important points to discuss with a prospective guide are how many hunters he will allow (weekly and total for the year), how many baits he will set up and if anyone else has access to hunt the lands he does (very important). A good guide will have one main site for each new hunter, that site never being hunted prior to his/her arrival (this is very important).

A very good guide will also have a back-up site for each hunter or at least one back-up for every two hunters available if your 1st site is not being hit. Be very wary about guides that run a lot of hunters per week & for an entire season, as it's very tough to provide quality hunts when having a large number of hunters .

In Maine, the first 15 days or so of bear season are hunting over bait only. After that time, dog hunting is also allowed. So, if your guide does both, or both occur at the same time in the area you are hunting, your bait hunt can absolutely be spoiled by people dog hunting. For the record, this is not a DISS on dog hunting, simply a statement of pure fact.

Hope that helps you some. Again, feel free to PM me for more info.