Deer Hunting Forums banner

Buck Roar!!

18K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  dylanhutchinson 
#1 ·
I had a friend that just purchased a buck roar call by Primos about 2 weeks ago. He has been using it with OUTSTANDING success. Last night he called in and grunted with TWO separate 8 pointers. Before the night was over he had six bucks move through his area. Unfortunately he shot over the "shooter's" back. (string-jumpin.) Any other folks have good results with the buck roar/wheeze method?

#3 ·
left my grunt tube upstate may have to try this one out,thanks for the tip:biggrin:

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
I had been planning on buying this new Buck Roar made by Primo's ever since I heard about it and this post prompted me to go get it this morning...
I may go out tomorrow to do some scouting and give it a try,,, I'll let ya know how it goes...

#5 ·
I don't know about the buck roar, but I bought the buck growl by mad calls earlier in the year. I broke that sucker out last weekend and it works great!!! I'm not getting too aggressive with it yet, we're just getting into the pre-rut stage around the house. But I popped em and hit it low and short and they come in with their heads down and ready to go. Can't wait for another week and a half!!!

#6 ·
new toy

well i think my daughter or daughters got my grunt and misplaced it. at the end of last season they got ahold of my doe bleat and grunt and proceeded to run around the house playing deer hunter. i have looked everywhere with no sucess. im sure i got them back from them last year but maybe they got back into my stuff. i bought a doe bleat at the beginning of bow season and just today went and bought the buck roar. i was caught between the mad buck growl or the primos buck roar. i am fixing to go watch the video and see if i can pick up any useful tips on using this one. i will probably give it a try in the morning. i will let yall know what happens.

#8 ·
baught a combo from buck gardner came with a good grunt tube does multiple types by moving an "o" ring.and a rattle bag with wood dowels pretty good deal for 7$ at walmart

#10 ·
I got the buck roar this week after hearing all of the hype. got out yesterday afternoon and set up my ground blind. After settling in for about a half hour I gave it a good loud grunts, just like the video, and ten minutes later a nice buck came strolling into the area, but he spotted the blind before he got close enough and took off wheezing. About an hour before dark I gave another couple of roars. Sure enough ten minutes later a doe snuck up from behind and walked within 5 feet of the blind. She stopped and was looking right at me and also looking around the area. She would take a step or two and look around again, but I was frozen. Could she see me? Or was I just a strange black hole in th brush? She bagan to stomp around and was getting further away where I felt a little better about moving a bit, At about twenty yards she turned and set up the perfect shot.:ibtl: THWACK!!
For those of you haven't read my previous posts, it was just a few weeks I was beginning to worry if I would ever see a deer. So thanks to all of those who gave advise, I got my fist deer!!!:lol: sorry but I did not get a pic. But I promise to get one of my first buck and post it.
As for the Buck Roar. Coincidence? maybe, but I have to believe it brought those deer to me.
Deernuts

#11 ·
I got the buck roar this week after hearing all of the hype. got out yesterday afternoon and set up my ground blind. After settling in for about a half hour I gave it a good loud grunts, just like the video, and ten minutes later a nice buck came strolling into the area, but he spotted the blind before he got close enough and took off wheezing. About an hour before dark I gave another couple of roars. Sure enough ten minutes later a doe snuck up from behind and walked within 5 feet of the blind. She stopped and was looking right at me and also looking around the area. She would take a step or two and look around again, but I was frozen. Could she see me? Or was I just a strange black hole in th brush? She bagan to stomp around and was getting further away where I felt a little better about moving a bit, At about twenty yards she turned and set up the perfect shot.:ibtl: THWACK!!
For those of you haven't read my previous posts, it was just a few weeks I was beginning to worry if I would ever see a deer. So thanks to all of those who gave advise, I got my fist deer!!!:lol: sorry but I did not get a pic. But I promise to get one of my first buck and post it.
As for the Buck Roar. Coincidence? maybe, but I have to believe it brought those deer to me.
Deernuts

#12 ·
well congrats on your first deer. I bet it felt good!! I am not sure if she saw you but i know when they stomp their feet it means that they are cautious and are trying to scare things away. I think i will give this call a try. thanks

#14 ·
my folks got me the primos estrus bleat...but after scouting the area out i havnt seen any bucks ive only seen about half a dozen does....after playing around with the bleat ive noticed every once and a while it gets stuck :thumbdown: anyone else have that type of problem?

#15 ·
congrats on your first deer .I love when the deer look down then snap thee head up real fasat,trying to catch ya moving the stamping thing gets thrown in the mix too.KIDD i have 3 cans and they have never stuck maybe ya got a bad one call or email primos.they are a top notch outfit and im sure they'll make things right

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
I ended up buying this new Buck Roar and SO FAR I have to say I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be... I think it may be too intimidating. TODAY in a heavy snowfall I saw a Buck passing thru what is usually fairly open woods but because of the wind, heavy rain snow mix, bowed trees I could barely make the deer out, as I raised my rifle to scope it out and maybe get a shot, I couldn't see it because my scope was packed with snow and ice. I grabbed my binoculars but by then the deer was out of sight .. grabbed the Buck Roar thinking maybe it would draw the buck back in,,, nope all that did was put a doe on a dead run , a doe I hadn't even seen until I used the buck roar she was at about 40 yards but ran off full tilt... I made my way up to where I last saw the buck to start tracking him HE went into the thickest stuff he could find, I ended up pushing him out of 3 beds he tried laying in but never got to see him again as he ended up crossing a higway into a no shooting zone I had some bad luck today lol BUT I'll be back there in the morning and this time it'll be a little different I just treated my scope with Scope Dope a Lens cleaner and anti fogging paste it works great on rainy or snowy days i also put my see thru covers on so i'm all set for tomorrow.. I didn't get a clear visual on the Buck but i'm guessing an 8 maybe a 10 hope I get one more crack at him tomorrow...

#17 ·
I discovered something on my buck roar the other day. While practicing I noticed it did not sound the same as when I first got it. It was kind of making a buzzing and squeeking sound, so I decided to take it apart lw and behold, there was an o-ring to adjust for different calls and i moved it and it was back to normal. I know that there are other calls with the same type of adjustments, but it doesn't indicate this feature on the package or the video. So if your buck roar seems to sound a little funny check out the reed o-ring. Maybe I'm telling you something everybody already knows, but I'm still learnin' this stuff.
dn

#18 ·
Ok here goes on this one. My hunting buddy bought one last year and did have a couple of bucks respond to it. This year I had a 10 pointer lay down 45 yards from me to sun himself, this during the rut. I call my buddy to move in and start using the call and rattle bag. The buck raised his head several times but failed to respond to the set up. Does it work? I think like most items works sometimes but nothing works everytime. At some point you just end up with too many gagets in your overflowing bag.

#19 ·
i had a nice buck either a 8-10 just 25 min after i got in my stand i pulled out my buck roar and just hit it 3 times2-5 mins later hear comes a nice buck either a 8 -10 down a ravine rite beheind me , i blew on the call 2 times and he just kept on with a nice trot and bedded in a thicket about 30 yards away. i blew on that buck roar for the second time and he got straight up and started to run directly towards me by that time after seeing him run directly towards my stand my heart just started to pump so hard that i could not even hear the deer any more all i heard was my heart in my ears..lol ..i had just started to raise my crossbow when i hear at first a lot of crunching and twigs snaping beheind me ..lucky for that deer and just my luck that 2 other hunters came through with their dogs barking and that just did it for him he took of and ran about 30 more yards and down a creek bed and never seen agian... i was just so close to getting a shot of at my first deer let alone a big ol buck like that one but o well i will get one next season.But i belive that this call works because if those other hunters wer not there that call made him run rite to me but i guess that what happins on public hunting land.. but good call

#20 ·
dang that stinks but the same thing has happened to me (other hunters) so dont feel bad

#21 ·
Yeah me too, I'm sure it's happened to most hunters at one time or another.
Don't let it bother you, there's always going to be other hunts on other days..
It all pays off at some point...

#22 ·
I bought the buck roar from primos, a while ago, and in this state, at least where I am, the bucks don't respond to the real aggresive roars, due to 5 does for every buck, but soft grunts on it work pretty good. I also own "The Can" from primos, and that is one call I will never enter the woods without, I have used that many times with great success. The first time I used the can, I was in the stand 10 minutes, and shot my first 8 pointer.

#25 ·
buck roar

I got the opportunity to bow hunt Iowa in the rut last year for a week. The buck roar was in hand. On the third day a 165 in 10 point walked clear across a field to where I was set up only to cut my corner at about 65 yards. I let him get passed me and hit the buck roar and mixed it with the primos can. I was aggressive because I was mad I thought I missed this great chance. I looked up and he was coming strait to me I shot at 15 yards and he is now proudly stuck above a doorway in my house. It worked for me.

#26 ·
I got the opportunity to bow hunt Iowa in the rut last year for a week. The buck roar was in hand. On the third day a 165 in 10 point walked clear across a field to where I was set up only to cut my corner at about 65 yards. I let him get passed me and hit the buck roar and mixed it with the primos can. I was aggressive because I was mad I thought I missed this great chance. I looked up and he was coming strait to me I shot at 15 yards and he is now proudly stuck above a doorway in my house. It worked for me.
Thats the kinda reviews I like. Unsponsored!!! :thumbup:

Congrats on the wall hanger.. Show us a pic!!!

#27 ·
primos buck roar

just rolled 9 point and this call brought him to shooting range. He did not believe the grunt, but the challenge wheeze, like putty in my hands. not a giant but this is the 3rd buck I have called in. This thing is the real deal.Thanks primos, he would still be out there if it was not for this call!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.