Hang-on seat - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Optics and Hunting Gear
Optics and Hunting Gear Post your thoughts on Optics, Scents, Clothing etc.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Hang-on seat

Finding a good spot and then using a comfortable method of sitting is always a challenge for any serious deer hunter. Should I set up a ladder stand in the area? Should I cart a climbing stand with me to the area and hope for a "proper" tree? Should I just bring a cushion and set my butt on the ground, the old-fashioned way? I've set my butt down against a tree many a time and also killed many deer that way, but it ain't the most comfortable method and it's always a challenge to stay as long as I should when things get tough because I'm so darn uncomfortable.

I recently purchased a hang-on seat that was recommended to me by a good friend. He likes the concept and I've used similar seats in the past to ensure a comfortable stay at my chosen spot. I've owned two Summit Trophy Seats and was pleased with both of them. (apparently the people who stole them are too!)The new seat I purchased is called a Millennium hang-on seat. Although it doesn't appear as comfy as a Summit, I'd say overall it at least matches the Summit and my Buddy who owns both says he prefers the Millennium, without a doubt. It is quite a bit lighter than the Summit too.

I do prefer it's ultralight weight and materials that will not hold water (read that get wet) It sets up in about 60 seconds and I can sit for 4-5 hours easily in it. I was sitting in it yesterday when I took my buck. It turned out that I could not get a shot while seated, but was able to simply stand and get a good bead on the deer through the brush. The view being a foot or so higher than if you were on the ground is better too. As far as maybe not being so "hidden" as sitting on the ground, a mature doe passed within 15 yards or less, looked right at me and then walked away, unconcerned.

Just wanted to make note of a pretty decent product that could help you hunt new areas much more comfortably while costing only about $70.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2011, 08:58 AM
B&C 180 Class

Just wanted to check-- you are talking about those stands that stay at the base of the tree right? I've been sort of interested in picking one up... but not for $70
Old 12-04-2011, 02:56 PM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by tator View Post
Just wanted to check-- you are talking about those stands that stay at the base of the tree right? I've been sort of interested in picking one up... but not for $70
Yup, those are the ones. I don't see it as being all that much different than a comfortable climber that costs $250. An uncomfortable climber or hang-on that costs $100. is still worthless to my way of thinking. The comfort, quality and portability make it worth it to me.