Deer Hunting Forums banner

Recommended trail cameras on sale!!!

19K views 48 replies 7 participants last post by  tomlightfield 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey there guys, Thought I'd create a posting on some trail cams I've searched for. Some of these I own or have owned, so good luck.

Moultrie M-80 Trail Camera-
*I currently run one of these and it takes 8 AA batteries to run. Nice camera, good pics, and crystal clear MP. I bought mine about 6 months ago for $124 with free ship on ebay. This is the cheapest I've seen them at- On sale at amazon.com for $115 with FREE ship.
Amazon.com: Moultrie Game Spy M-80: Sports & Outdoors

Moultrie D55IR Trail Camera-
*I also run this camera currently and have for about a year. Good camera that sips it's batteries. In one year's use, I've only replaced batteries once. Very nice pics, very good trigger speed. Found it on ebay for $81.99 with FREE ship. This seller has more than 10 to sell.
NEW MOULTRIE GAME SPY D55 IR INFRARED GAME CAMERA 5 MP BEST PRICE ANYWHERE!!!!!! | eBay

Moultrie Picture Viewer-
* I actually have one of these ordered and supposed to be in Friday (tomorrow). THis is a neat gadget because you don't have to spend alot of money on extra SD Cards. It had an onboard SD card (not sure if it comes with it or not) that holds all the pics you transfer to it. When you go to your trail cam, pull the card, insert it in the SD slot and hit transfer and all your pics will go to the onboard SD card already in place. PLUS you can also view pics IN THE FIELD right then and there to see if you want to move a trail camera or if you're like me, and wondering why you got 1,000 pics only to find out when you get home a limb was blowing in front of your camera and you have 950 pictures of a limb! woohoo! haha Just a year ago these were selling for over $100, now Bass Pro has them for $80, but I found them amazon.com for $53.54 with FREE ship!
Amazon.com: Moultrie Digital Picture Viewer: Sports & Outdoors

See less See more
#2 ·
Come on what about the WGI Cam you told me was on sale you didn't list that one LOL
I know we would not get another one of them if they paid us to take them

#3 ·
haha that's the truth! I just got my moultrie picture viewer last night and I played around with it for awhile... I can honestly say, a MAN made this viewer because it's absolutely the easiest thing to handle, operate, and it all makes sense! haha Going to take it on my hunt tonight!

#5 ·
Definitely stick with Moultrie! Several years ago I went with a Cuddeback on a friend's recommendation and was happy with it, pics were high quality and trigger speed was the fastest out there, battery life is great. Then I found out that you almost HAVE to have their viewer to check cards in the field, their software won't let your digital camera be used as your viewer, won't read the card! Their viewer was $150 at that time. I did find a viewer that will read anyone's software format for $60 so I was good with that. Then a little bit out of warranty, the cam started shutting itself off when it felt like it. Called C-back, they basically told me to go ---- myself. Bad cust service. Moultrie has surpassed C-back in both innovations and service. I just talked to a guy who had a 4 yr old Moultrie that failed, sent the cam to Moultrie, they said they did not have parts anymore to fix it, they sent him a BRAND NEW CAMERA!!!! How can you beat that!!!!! Thought you guys might like to know this info.

#6 ·
You must be talking about the Moultrie SD cards.. which I do not use. I always just buy my SD cards and I've never boughten a trail cam that actually came with SD cards. That's the problem... use regular SD cards and you can check it on any digital camera.. (that's what I used to do).

Plus, for those of you buying SD cards there are new SD cards out there that may not be compatable with your digital cameras and/or trail cameras. They are the SDHC. The HC stands for "high capacity"- these cards DO NOT work with all gadgets, especially ones that are older. I made the mistake and bought one online (ebay) for cheap, but now it's useless b/c I don't have any gadgets that can take that card.

#12 ·
tator,

try formatting your cards. Put the blank SD card in your computer and select format. i haven't had any problems with the good SanDisk SDHC cards. Did have some problems with some cheaper SD cards. and i had to format them, then they worked fine. if you do have pics on the cards , you will lose them when you format the cards.

#14 ·
In an earlier post I mentioned my Cuddeback Capture that likes to shut itself off after like 2 days. I found a free Firmware download at Cuddeback's website where you download the newer version onto a SD card then put it into the camera and it uploads the new stuff. After about 10 tries I got it to work, so now I hung the cam and we'll see if this all makes any difference. Anybody familiar with the problem I'm having, and if so what did you have to do to fix it? I already know how I'm gonna fix it if it doesn't stay on longer than 2 days, it's goin' in the dumpster and I'm gettin' a Moultrie!!

#15 ·
yes I'm familiar with the problem- just not with that camera. I had TONS of problems with the Wildgame-Innovations- (STAY AWAY from them). At least Cuddeback is giving you a "free upgrade" to fix the prob. Hope it works for you. If not, try the Moultrie line. You won't be disapointed. I currently run the D55ir, and the M80ir. Both are good cams! :thumbup:

#16 ·
Thanks tator, I saw your posts on the Moultrie's you are runnin' and if this doesn't fix that deal, I am MOST DEFINITELY gonna put that-------- in the dumpster. By the time I pay them to fix it(who knows$$$$) and pay the shipping BOTH ways, I'm way better off gettin' the Moultrie on EBAY. I finally had to tell their cust serv person to get ------, I've had it with those morons. Back when that cam was only a few days out of warranty they gave me a hard time, that's why I've got the attitude. And this firmware swap will most likely not fix the shutting off deal. We will see, I've had it hung for 2 1/2 days now and it is still going.

#17 ·
A side note, you said that you used to use your dig cam to view your trail cam pics. That's what I planned on using for a viewer back when I got this cam, but Cuddeback's firmware won't allow that. When you put your card from the trail cam into your dig cam to view pics, it flashes "NO IMAGES" on the screen. And I tried 4 different cameras, including one very expensive Nikon, all the same. I'm gonna get that Moultrie --55? like you said, on EBAY $85 and that includes shipping. And I believe I saw 2 yr warranty?? Then regardless of what the Cudde does, at least I will have a functioning cam.

#18 ·
tomlightfield:
Yes sir! You won't be disapointed with the moultrie brand. I know I'm not as of yet and I've been running them for over a year now. I run my cameras year round and they do fantastic. Another brand to stay away from is PRIMOS. They can NOT take the summer heat. They will shut off just like your cudde is doing. One thing you might try on your SD card for the cudde (if it's still taking pics) is using a different brand card rather than cuddebacks??? I'm not understanding why it won't let you view them on your dig camera unless cuddeback has the cards formatted where you can only view them on a computer?? who knows, they do crazy things. As far as the warranty with the cameras- here's my experience... when you call and complain to them about the camera stopping or not working or whatever, DO NOT tell them when you bought it. And if they ask, just tell them you think it was not quite a year ago. Here's my reasoning for this... if I'm gonna pay more than $100 for a camera it had better flippin' work for more than one year or even two years! IT better last closer to 5-10 years! Now, I have not had to send back a cam to moultrie (obviously), but I did this like I said above with the primos and the WGI cams. If they ask you if you have the reciept tell them NO!

GFD-- ahhoh buddy.... guess what?? it finally happened. My last WGI cam went black on me! haha It lasted almost 2 full years! I'm actually kinda impressed. But you guessed it, I'm gonna send it back. I'm not the type that throws money away at this stuff. 2 years is NOT enough for my money. The cam still turns on, but I left it out on a HOT trail for 2 weeks and I checked it today and when I went to transfer the pics to my moultrie view finder it said "SD CARD EMPTY". Plus, on the camera where it tells you how many pics it has on it, it just keeps saying 12. Never changes. Got a gift card from my parents for Christmas to Bass Pro for $50,, gonna use it and the money I make off selling the new WGI they send me and buy another moultrie. LOL!

#21 ·
Hey Tator, thanks for the response, but I've tried 3 different cards and they all do the same thing "NO IMAGES" when you put them in a dig cam. I found a viewer when I realized this and it reads every type of firmware out there. I contacted Cuddeback about my cam and they said all they would do is sell me a refurb for $80 plus $10 shipping and I had to send them the old cam(another $10 in postage) But you can buy that cam now for $120 brand new! I asked the cust rep if he was on drugs and hung up. I've had it with those people, I never even got a full deer season with that camera and I paid $200 for it. Ordering the M-80 this week.

#27 ·
Got my new Moultrie M-80 and it is NICE!! User friendly, nice lit up dashboard, the only thing I noticed is that it doesn't show the number of pics taken. That was nice on my Cudde, I could just look at the number of pics to see if I had any new ones since the last check, and if not then wouldn't have to check the card. But yeah, thanks much Tator for the help steering me to the M-80, takes great pics. I've included the last pic from my Cudde a few days ago, good night time pic.

Attachments

#28 ·
Tomlightfield- the M80 will show your pics... that's the one thing that the Moultries are kinda strange on.... when you first open up the door to the cam, it will take your pics (obviously)... wait until the pic is taken (or pics are taken as I have mine on 4 pic burst) and then hit either ENTER or MODE... It's kinda like the cam goes into a semi-sleep mode right after a pic is taken- but not a permanent sleep mode. I can't remember which one I hit ENTER or MODE but it's one of the two. It'll come up with a battery life indicator and total pics taken as well as how many pics your SD card can take up to. Let me know if you have any other trouble or questions and I can help ya out.

#29 ·
Ok, sounds good Tator, I haven't got to play enough with it yet to find out all the "little things'. Good thing though that I finally got this new cam just in time for deer season to be over!!LOLOLOL. That's OK, I'm gonna bribe my wife to run back and forth in front of it in the garage to make sure it keeps workin'. Yeah, that'll happen!!!

#33 ·
I'm gonna bribe my wife to run back and forth in front of it in the garage to make sure it keeps workin'. Yeah, that'll happen!!!

Just do what I do... I put it in the house somewhere and don't tell my wife... then when she sees red lights lighting up! hahaha talk about funny... it was even funnier when I had the flash cameras! My right arm hurt alot though during that time period! :no:

#31 ·
Tator, I just looked through your pic album titled"Some of Everything", what a bunch of GREAT pictures!!!!! You've got some bruiser bucks where you hunt, for sure. Are you sure you made the deck for your kids big enough???LOLOLOL You could probably host the next neighborhood square dance!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.