Nikon Monarch Africa series scope - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Optics and Hunting Gear
Optics and Hunting Gear Post your thoughts on Optics, Scents, Clothing etc.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:14 AM
B&C 140 Class

Thumbs up Nikon Monarch African series scope

I thought I'd make a few comments about this fairly new offering from Nikon. I happen to own one, mounted on a Remington 750 Carbine in .35 Whelen and a very good friend has one mounted on a Marlin 1895/45-70. We have the 1" version, 1-4x20 in this series. There are also two other 30mm models, I believe.

I actually shot my Buddy's first when I took his new 1895 to the range with this new scope on top mounted in Weaver Quad Lok rings. I was impressed with it's clarity and very wide FOV. It has the newer type Euro fast-focus eyepiece and adjustments are .5" each @ 100 yards. The adjustment system is very positive feeling and quite precise and is finger adjustable.

I later mounted my new scope and sighted in my new 750 and found that my initial experiences and impressions were simply confirmed with the second new scope being sighted in with no drama and in very fast fashion. As most of you likely know, one of the better things found in quality optics is the likeliness of having a much more precise adjustment system. Not merely additional coating or clarity. This type of "upgrade" is one that actually saves a shooter/hunter $$ in the long run, perhaps.

This is one of those scopes that after sighting in and seeing just how precise each click is and that each click actually does correspond to that .5" at 100 yards, that you can feel confident in changing setings without feeling the need to re-zero. As an example, sighting my 750 in at 50 yards for a bear-over-bait hunt and later simply clicking up the proper number of clicks (using a ballistics program) to re-zero at 150 yards is not a concern for me, whatsoever.

I especially like the reticle this scope comes with, a version of a German #4 type. This is a heavy three post system (sides and bottom posts) along with a lighter upper post that tapers to thin crosshairs at the center. The three heavy posts are extra heavy, but the center, narrower four are plenty fine for target work. This type reticle is, of course, designed for hunting, giving you a bold reticle for quick acquisition and great low-light performance

I'd not hesitate to purchase another of these scope when I need another low powered scope. The only low powered scope I own that I'd say was a bit better would be the 1.25-4x20 Leupold Euro 30mm I own, but it's also about $130 more expensive too. The Nikon @ about $279. is a good value for a quality low powered scope, seeing the Leupold VX3 selling for $399 and the VXII selling for $299. I own a couple VXIIs and actually feel the Nikon a better scope. Best I can see, the warranties are pretty much the same; being lifetime for both.

A couple of pictures of the scope mounted on the 750 Carbine in .35 Whelen:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-017F.jpg (88.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-018F.jpg (93.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by turner; 08-01-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:37 AM
B&C 100 Class

I have had a lifelong debate with my hunting buddy Nikon (me) vs. Leopold (him). We still joke around about it but put the debate to rest last year. Neither of us can tell a major difference in a VX-3 vs Monarch in Optic quality. But like you said I notice about $100.00 price difference Nikon being cheaper. I have all Nikon Monarchs on all my rifles. Thanks for the Review of the new Nikon African scope.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:05 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Another happy camper with the Nikon African 1x4

I also own a Nikon African 1x4 with the 1 inch tube. It was the only scope that I found with the long tube length needed for a Sako 30-06 AV carbine I have. I have only hunted 1 year with the scope but I do like it. The 30mm version gets higher ratings but it costs twice the amount.

Karl