Checking eye relief on any scope - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Optics and Hunting Gear
Optics and Hunting Gear Post your thoughts on Optics, Scents, Clothing etc.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:42 PM

I don't own a single fixed power scope. Not really sure why. I do adjust my scopes every hunting day starting out on 3-4 and moving up after solid daylight. Funny how we all set up our equipment different ways for different purposes. I remember in the dark timber elk hunting I did the same thing 4x in the dark stuff and then 7-9x in the open grass fields for the evening. I take nothing from fixed power scopes I just am a vari-power scope guy. In today's good scopes I don't see a quality issue with either type of scope. If I did set up a rig with a fixed power scope I'd have to think pretty seriously on a 6X Leupold with at least a 40mm obj lens or bigger. My Weatherby rifles have 3x9x44 scopes on them and they are clear and bring in a lot of light. I do have an old Baush and Lomb (spell?)fine hair 4X from the 60's that's never been on a gun. It was my Dad's but never had a use for it. It doesn't have adjustments so needs adj rings. If anyone would be interested in it let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2011, 10:55 AM
B&C 100 Class

It took many years of hunting to realize that when I used a variable scope I was leaving it on one setting. Usually right around 4x. It didn't take much thought to make me try a fixed scope.

I had used one back in the 50's when I hunted with a Winchester 94 30-30. The 30-30 had a limited range, and the 4x scope was perfect. Later when I went to more powerful guns I needed a scope with more range.

Now i'm a 100% muzzleloader hunter. I'm back in the 30-30 range, and the 4x is perfect again. I don't feel limited at all. Actually, I feel it's the perfect scope for a ML.

For me.

It does have some added advantages. I get a lot of scope for a reasonable price. With less moving parts they are bullet proof. With less lenses to look through they seem clearer to me, but that may be in my mind. Shorter and lighter.

I'm not tempted to use it to spot game. A no no with any warden.