Am I really that different? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Optics and Hunting Gear
Optics and Hunting Gear Post your thoughts on Optics, Scents, Clothing etc.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:38 AM
B&C 140 Class

Default Am I really that different?

Seems I rarely see anyone mentioning fixed powered scopes any more as everyone normally talks scopes with high magnification and big "light gathering" lenses. Can I be the only hunter who still enjoys the simplicity of a fixed power scope on some of their hunting rifles?

Yes, I own a good number of variable power scopes as well, but I don't think I own any scope that's over 9X on any rifle. I like the fact that a quality fixed power can cost a good bit less than a comparable variable (same maker & line). Of course, that's not always the case anymore either.

I was a tad skeptical myself at first after finding some killer deals on discontinued fixed power scopes (not popular, apparently!) that brought me several nice Redfield Wideview 4Xs and at least two nice Nikon Monarch 4Xs, all at under a 100 $$ bill. I've also got a nice older 4X Burris FF and newer version of the Weaver K4. I'm a litle disappointed I didn't cash in on a closeout Zeiss 4X too, when I saw it.

I've found that the fixed power scopes don't really hurt my groups at 100 yards either. I've shot some very small groups with them, getting them set up on their respective rifles. I'd have no problem using one out to about 250 yds on big game too, with the tests I've done (practicing aiming on deer/hogs from my stand)

Off the top of my head, I have fixed power scopes on rifles in 6.5x55, .270 Win, 7X57, 30/06 and 8X57. So, am I really the only one who still likes fixed low powered scopes for hunting or what??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 12:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

Hi turner!
No I don't believe you are "off your rocker" for liking a fixed power scope.
That is how many of us started our careers in hunting with.
For example you mention five guns with fixed power scopes at say maybe $100 per scope savings, that is a nice chunk of change towards a new gun! No down side to that! Lets see 5 guns or 6? hmmmm seems like a no brainer to me.
I'm also sure the game you harvested didn't care, it was just as dead.
It is interesting and you got me thinking, do I need 12 3x9x50mm scopes sitting in my closet and gun safe just because I can?
Very interesting. Thank you turner and God bless.
daddus
Old 03-02-2011, 06:23 PM

I find myself always adjusting the power band depending on the available light, so I'm not a big fixed power guy but it was the thing many years ago to have fixed power scopes as they thought to be more reliable than vari-power. Today's scopes pretty much debunk that thought and so have surpassed the fixed power in sales. Not saying their better just selling more of them. Maybe as I get older I need more XXXXX's.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:29 PM
B&C 100 Class

I've never used a fixed power scope.

I'm going to try it this year and see how it goes.

I've set my distance to 175 yds with a muzzleloader. A 4x scope should be fine for that.

I see the advantages like this.

Cheaper
Less parts to go wrong.
Eye relief stays the same.
Should let in more light with less lenses to look through.
Lighter.
Did I mention cheaper?

btw The only variable scopes that are reliable are the expensive ones. A fixed scope doesn't have to be expensive to be reliable. Simmons Pro Diamond is an example. $40

Last edited by Muley; 03-06-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:19 PM

I remember the old Weaver fixed power scopes were popular scopes in their day. Glass quality has made lower price scopes very popular today and they're pretty reliable. Lower price scopes cannot compete with mid-high end scopes but there are places for them. Muley, 175 yds with a 4x is more than my eyes will do these days, that's why I went with 3x9x40 on the Triumph. The TC Firehawk ate up a Tasco but I got probably 8 years out of it and so put another Tasco 60.00 scope on it . Son uses it now.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:48 PM
B&C 100 Class

I'm thinking 175 yds with 4x the power is sort of like a 45 yd shot with open sights. I can do that ok.

I'll mess around during summer on coyotes with the 4x. If it doesn't work out i'll go to a 3x9 scope.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:48 AM
B&C 100 Class

Default 4X Scopes

I used a Bushnell Sharpshooter 4X32 scope on my .30-06 for over 20 years and took several deer with it before switching to a 3-9X40. However I still use a Bushnell Banner 4X32 fixed power on my .30-30. It's actually a shotgun scope with the circle-x reticle but I love it.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 AM
B&C 100 Class

I put the Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32 scope on my Omega. It's really accurate, holds a good zero, and only weighs 8oz. The problem is the edges are fuzzy.

I'll mess with it, but I see a better scope in my future.