Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   Optics and Hunting Gear (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/optics-hunting-gear/)
-   -   Game Camera's (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/optics-hunting-gear/6357-game-cameras.html)

tbighunter 09-19-2010 12:39 PM

Game Camera's

I want to report on my good and bad game cameras.First,I have tried 2 Stealth Cams with very bad results.(Model 540ir,Nomad ir)I would not suggest anyone trying one of these.Second,Wildgame Innovations(ir4 and S4)Out of the 6 cameras that I have had from them,only 1 still works (ir4),all where still under 1 year old,the S4 ate 4 C batteries about every 5 days even if it wasn't taking pictures,so I strapped it to a tree in my yard and disposed of it properly,it was good target practice.Third,Moultrie.I have had the D-40 and I-40.First,I have had the D-40 for a couple of years and it still works great.The I-40 took good pics except at night,they where all blurry,not good pic quality.It failed under warranty,so when they sent me the new one,I sold it.Finally this year,I am trying the new Primos braned cameras.I purchased 2 of the Truth Cam46's.So far within 2 weeks,I have had to return 1 of them because the night pics,you can't see anything but black.I put the new out last evening and will check it today and see how it performed.I will say that the IR pics from the Truth Can is some of the best I have seen.Please keep in mind,this is just my experiences with these cams,your's maybe totally different.I will try to submit a couple of pics so you can judge for yourself.I'm just trying to give some info on different camera's to maybe help someone make a good decision and not get frustrated in the process of having to return camera's.

WisconsinDeer 09-19-2010 10:08 PM

I'm happy with my Moultrie D-55IR so far.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1284952068

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1284952097

kemster99 09-22-2010 09:52 PM

i'm runnig 4 moultrie d-40s and 1 d55 flash and 1 d55ir. all are doing good.

WHITETAILFEVER 09-23-2010 03:27 PM

I have the moultree ir60! Had for 4 yrs with about 25,000 pics under its belt!!with no problems!

Southern Man 09-23-2010 05:25 PM

My first camera was a moultrie and I went thru 3 of them. 2 of them I finally took back to where I bought them and got a refund. I bought Cuddybacks. Never bought a stealth camera, but bought 2 wildgame cameras, trying to save a lil money and after a couple of months, I gave them to my son rather than throw them away :biggrin: I bought more Cuddybacks. No problem with them at all. On 3 of them I have taken over 300 or more pics a week for several months last last couple of years and no problems. They're expensive but I've found in most things, you get what you pay for. I still have and use one of the moultries, a little blurry pics but it does well. If I buy more, I'd like to try one of those Bushnell Trophy cams or the Covert cameras.

cdrob 12-01-2010 06:02 PM

Cuddeback Capture IR

Just wanted to warn you all about Cuddeback cameras.. Dont believe the hype! I spent 250.00 on a cuddeback thinking that I've got one of the best cams available. Wrong, this thing right out of the box feels and looks like it belongs on the $89 rack. I gave it a fair chance and it is as crappy as it feels in your hands.What a let down. The batteries (4 D Cell ) will not come out without the aid of a prying tool like a screwdriver. The little dial that sets time,date,time between pics, off ...... It rotates all the way around and I cant even shut it off to switch memory cards. No preview screen, you have to open it to check number or pictures taken and it is very loud when trying to be "sneaky" in the woods. The single strap tree mounting strap makes the camera jiggle all over when trying to open/retrieve memory card. The only thing it has going for it is that it does have good trigger speed and only average quality pictures. Not worth the money boys n girls! The hunting show guys only use them cuz they get em free is my guess.. Nuff said, hope ya get my point. Happy hunting!

tator 12-06-2010 12:52 PM

What an interesting subject! Some of these cameras I have tried as well.

first off, cdrob: I completely agree with you when it comes to the cuddebacks. I'm guessing the reason they are so expensive is because of the trigger speed. They are one of the fastest on the market. BUT, the reason they are so heavily advertised is because they DO give them away free to professionals. PLUS, there is something called PROFESSIONAL GRADE, the pros get the good stuff. We get the cheap, assembly line, thrown together crap that is over priced. PERIOD.

Secondly: WisconsonDeer & Kemster: I'm VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY glad to hear you like your Moultrie D-55IR, because I just bought one a couple weeks ago! Haven't put it out yet though. Love the pics, and I'm hoping to get some good use out of it in the future YEARS.

and Thridly: tbighunter: I absolutely agree with you about the Wildgame Innovation cameras. JUNK, JUNK, JUNK! Don't buy them people! They are trash. You'll waste your money and time. They'll send you new cameras for the ones that quit, but do you want to do that every 3-4 weeks? Trust me, I've had 4 quit on me now. My latest one is not taking night pics right at all... they are all black. Wish I never bought them. Plus I ABSOLUTELY HATE the bungee cords that are supposed to hold this camera up. Trust me, you have to find a tree JUST the right size for your camera to fit on. Many times, I had to mount it on trees that I didn't want to just because the tree I DID want was too big. That's the worst mounting camera out today! JUNK JUNK JUNK! However, when they do work, they take very nice pics, I will give them that. BUT, then again, it's WHEN THEY WORK! Plus the trigger speed is very slow!

on_the_fly 12-09-2010 11:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have the moultrie I-60 and i have no complaints at all. well maybe one and thats not anything to do with the function, its the SD card slot is hard for my fat fingers to pull out the card, its in a tight spot between the frame and the battery strap in the side pannel. would have been a little nicer to had the SD card in the front with all the rest of the cameras control function buttons. it will take 1,2,or 3 shot photos and will take 5, 15, or 30 second video clips, inferred so its color pics in the day and Black and white at night. i paid around 450 when it first can out but now you can get a new one for around 250.

tbighunter 12-11-2010 08:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally have some time to upload a few pictures.The first picture is with the Moultrie I40 at night.The second is with the Primos Truth Cam 46 at night.The third is from the Moultrie I40 just so you can see the difference in picture quality from night to day.

tator 12-17-2010 11:15 AM

my final two Wildgame Innovation IR4's went bad on me so I just mailed them back yesterday. When I get two new ones back, up on E-BAY they will go. Not going to mess with them anymore. Not sure what I'll get instead.... Really want to try the Primos Truth Cam I-35. Anyone in particular use this cam?