saw a redfield - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Optics and Hunting Gear
Optics and Hunting Gear Post your thoughts on Optics, Scents, Clothing etc.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:02 PM
ronn

Default saw a redfield

I looked at a new redfield today. looks/felt to be well built with a forever warranty. i really liked the accurange reticule. its a little circle with very fine cross hairs with a dot for hold over. for $209 i'll look at them again the down side it wasn't as crisp and clear as my pentax light seeker but that was more than twice the cost. for the $$ i'd say definitely worth serious consideration.

just thought i'd share
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 PM

Can you expound on the redfield for me ronn.. Im sure I read somewhere on here or in a magazine about some changes or something.. Didnt they use to be owned/manufactured by bass pro?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 PM

Just educated myself in the thread below this one. Was thinking I had read about them changing hands to Leupold some where.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:33 PM
ronn

years ago, in the 60's and 70's, you were hard pressed to find a better scope than redfield. then scopes started being made by everyone as hunters went from the old win 94, savage 99's, hump back shot guns with buck shot, and what ever the marlin was to the newer more finely built bolt guns. back when i first started hunting some of the old guys thought scopes were cheating, kinda like some think wheel bows are cheating, or cross bows, as well as all the other gadgets that are out there. I don't know why redfield couldn't keep up with what was happening, maybe stuck in the passed?, but they went by the way side in the early 80's. now leupold owns redfield. they are made in oregon, the state not the town. so made in America, lifetime warranty, they feel solid, and not a bad price. i was really kinda impressed with what it looked like you were getting for the $$. time will tell.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:47 PM

ronn thats the same feeling 30 years ago I had with Redfield. I hope leuplod does put the the Redfield name back on the prefered list. I haven't picked up a new model to look through.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
ronn

like i said above, hm, it didn't seem to be as crisp and clear as the $500 lightseeker or some of the higher end nikons but for the $$ not bad at all and i do like the very fine crosshairs.
Old 02-02-2010, 01:09 PM
B&C 140 Class

If you hear of anyone who has purchased a Redfield and used it, let us know the prognosis if you can.
Thanx,
daddus1
Old 02-09-2010, 02:04 PM
B&C 100 Class

I looked thru one a few days ago at Academy in Joplin,seemed to be a nice looking scope and clear,3x9x40 was 149.00.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem46 View Post
I have 2 Redfield Widefield scopes. One is a 3 X 9 Widefield and the other is a 4X Widefield. The 3 X 9 sits on my Mod 70 Win in .270 Cal and the 4X sits on my Mod 760 Rem pump in .35 Rem.
Both of these scopes are at least 35 years old and have been switched from rifle to rifle thru the years. I have experienced absolutely no loss of accuracy or clarity with either one.
They are as good today as they were the day I bought them. To me, IMO, nothing beats a quality Redfield scope!
we're talking the new redfields. don't get me started on the old ones thats a different thread and a can of worms i won't revisit.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:23 AM

I like night crawlers ronn and older redfield scopes too you know....especially the $10.00 ones he he he