Which trail camera to buy my husband for Christmas? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Optics and Hunting Gear
Optics and Hunting Gear Post your thoughts on Optics, Scents, Clothing etc.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Which trail camera to buy my husband for Christmas?

He has been wanting one of these for a long time. I did some research, I assume IR is best, but not sure about how many pictures it takes and things like that, I want one that takes an SD card which I am sure most do. I heard Moultrie is best, but all of the reviews I read say they stop working after a few months

So post up what you have and your experiences, and how much you paid (I want to try to stay under $350)

Thanks!
April
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2009, 05:18 PM
B&C 100 Class

I have 3 Moultries,and have never had a problem with any of them.One camera has taken over 5600 pics.In my opinion stay away from Stealth Cam.Wildgame Innovations,my verdict is still out on them.I have 2 of them also it it there model IR4.I would not recommend them either.One of them had to be sent back within a week of getting it.My favorite camera is a Moultrie I40,I think your husband would love it.Cuddeback,Reconyx, and others are great cameras also.Go to this website to read reviews.Chasingame.com: Scouting Camera Reviews | Performance Reviews | Trail Camera Models compared | Sample Pictures and Movies
Old 11-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Scrub Buck

I think I might end up going with this one

Moultrie I-60 Infrared Game Camera

The 40 is cheaper though, I just want something that takes good pictures. Dicks said I can buy a warranty for a year for it, but really it would not be used until next year since I am giving it to him until Christmas, so I am not sure what to do as far as that, if I find it online cheaper can you buy warranties through online places as well?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:28 PM
B&C 100 Class

I would not spend the extra cash for the I60.I doubt you could tell the difference between a 4 and 6 megapixel and that is the only difference.I thought the camera already came with a year warranty.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:00 PM
Scrub Buck

I've used Moultrie and Cuddeback. Overall, I've been disappointed with both. The service dept. for each leaves something to be desired. Call either one and you'll wait for close to an hour, or email and wait days for a reply. My last Moultrie took about 1500 pics and the flash quit.
The next camera I'm trying is the latest from Bushnell. It's called the the Trophy Cam. $199.00 from Cabela's and they are offering a $ 20.00 off rebate online. The camera is small and uses AA batteries (batteries are supposed to last for months). The early Bushnell cameras weren't anything special, but this one sounds good.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:17 PM
Scrub Buck

I have had Cuddebacks and Moultries. The first Cuddeback nearly caught fire in my truck. Apparently the unit shorted out and drew down the fresh batteries so fast they heated up and melted the plastic housing. I sent the unit back for a refund through Cabelas. I bought another Cuddeback that I still use; the Excite. I use both the IR and standard flash versions of the Moultrie units too. The picture quality is equal. The motion response is better on the Cuddeback as is the battery usage. The Moultries are cheaper though. Determine if you want IR or if it is neccasary; it is valuable if the camera is accessible or viewable by other people, so as not to have the unit stolen because a visible flash is firing. If it is on private proerty and out of sight, save the money and use the flash. I find the deer respond similarly to both the IR version as well as the standard flash.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:10 AM

One of our Team DHC Members (East Texas Droptine) wrote a great article on Trail Cams.
Here's the Link which is also located on the home page if you'd like to check it out.
Trail Camera's by East Teax Droptine <- click to view

Good Luck!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 AM
ronn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgreyhairedfatman View Post
I've used Moultrie and Cuddeback. Overall, I've been disappointed with both. The service dept. for each leaves something to be desired. Call either one and you'll wait for close to an hour, or email and wait days for a reply. My last Moultrie took about 1500 pics and the flash quit.
The next camera I'm trying is the latest from Bushnell. It's called the the Trophy Cam. $199.00 from Cabela's and they are offering a $ 20.00 off rebate online. The camera is small and uses AA batteries (batteries are supposed to last for months). The early Bushnell cameras weren't anything special, but this one sounds good.
the new busnell looks very much like the covert II i've been using for a year or more. very small.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote