What scope to buy? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > Other Hunting Topics > Optics and Hunting Gear
Optics and Hunting Gear Post your thoughts on Optics, Scents, Clothing etc.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Scrub Buck

Default What scope to buy?

I recently bought a Savage 116flss .270 win. I am looking to buy a scope for it and I was trying to get some good suggestions. I am looking to spend from $140-$290. I hunt in northern kentucky for deer. Shots can range between 75-250 yds. Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. This is my first rifle and I just started hunting this year. I really enjoyed it, and plan on doing it for a long time.

Thanks for any info/opinions....

Kabre
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 12:21 PM
B&C 140 Class

Kabre in that price range you can get a real nice scope. I would probably get a bushnell for around the $140 to $150 range. but thats me and what I use. I if I was you would go to your gun shop and see whats avalable localy. most gun shops will help you mount as well. but I would want the best one they have that alows the best vision in low light conditions. the name and price of a scope can be up to 15 min sight abbility between them. Nikon in my book is the top of the line but you get what you pay for and you will pay for it too. thats why all mine are $120 to $140 bushnells. but they are all nice. good in low light and nice visable cross hairs in it as well.
but I would say anyone else is going to suggest the one that they use too no matter the name get what you like.
there was a post on here a few days ago asking the scope of choice preaty much. Maybe skim over that thread and get some ideas as well.
O and welcome to the deer hunters club, good luck. I like my 270 as well although its a different name.good caliber for deer hunting.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:36 PM
B&C 140 Class

After about 50 years of hunting big game, here's my feelings about buying scopes. When I first started hunting, the quality of scopes, in general, was not as good as it is now accross the board. Today, they are all pretty dependable and will get the job done. Since you say that you are new to hunting, but plan on sticking with it, I would recommend that you get the very best scope you can afford. In fact, since the season is winding down right now, I would recommend that you save up and get something even better than you might be able to buy at this particular time. And if it sounds like I'm equating quality to price, that's exactly what I mean. You get what you pay for. Even though they are all good, some are a lot better than others. Features to look for are: nitrogen-filled (fog and waterproof), fully coated lenses, shockproof, locking focus ring. Also, get a scope with lots of eye relief. Keep in mind that the eye relief of variable power scopes DECREASES as the power is cranked up. So, if you get a variable, look at what the eye releif is at the low powers when you compare brands and models. Another important thing is customer service. Some scopes are guaranteed for life, even if the scope is sold. Variables seem to be the most popular, but for the ranges that you mentioned, you can do very well with a fixed power scope, maybe 4x. If you want a variable, 2-7, or 3-9 are the way to go. I've had great performance and customer service from Leupold and Burris. Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 12-26-2008, 01:34 PM

Welcome aboard kabre22 and glad to have you here on the site. Good posting on the fly and onehorse.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:21 PM

hello and welcome. I believe Leupold makes a great scope and several models in your price range. Like onehorse said above, think about purchasing the best scope you can, you will not regret it. My older Redfield scopes have served me well for a long time.

Last edited by Hunting Man; 12-26-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: add
Old 12-28-2008, 06:27 AM
B&C 140 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting man View Post
hello and welcome. I believe leupold makes a great scope and several models in your price range. Like onehorse said above, think about purchasing the best scope you can, you will not regret it. My older redfield scopes have served me well for a long time.
i agree!!and would also like to add that nikon has some scopes in your price range as well.i have had alot of different scopes and they all seem to do the trick.it is your choice to what type of scope you want.heak i have an old tasco world class on my 308 and love it!!like i said it does the trick.but then again i have a nikon 3.5-10x50 monarch to that i love.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:12 AM
Scrub Buck

Thanks for the help.........I'll start looking around. Gotta spend some of my Christmas money!!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:06 PM
Scrub Buck

Thumbs up Leupold 2.5x8

Leupold 2.5x8 VXIII

Last edited by BruceBruce1959; 04-16-2009 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:31 AM

Here's the link to a Great buy on a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40. It's on sale at a place called MyOpticsPro.Com Go check out all their great buys.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Scrub Buck

Since you plan on hunting for some time, I would recommend doing some research on scopes, and then choosing the best one you can afford. There are a lot of scopes to choose from, but some of the most sought after ones, come from Bushnell, and Leupold. Start your search their, and I'm sure your find a quality scope that you can enjoy for a long time.