CVA Optima - Page 3 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Banned

Bruce Did you ever see my report on the Traditions Ultralight LDR? That was a shootin sum....gun... with the 300gr hornady FPB bullets. The only draw back was they were horrible to load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 12:55 AM

all the discussions on the different brands, to be quite honest, every one that I have ever own have shot better than I am. Some were sub 1" at 100 yds some were just 1". For production ml'ders off the shelf one cannot expect anymore. I do not own a new CVA in-line but I would expect virtually no difference to the Traditions, and TC rifles I do own. The debate will go on forever but it comes down to one's own preference or budget. I will always lean towards TC products but wouldn't turn down a good buy on CVA, Traditions, or TC rifles. Currently my son has taken a liking to the Tradition's rifle that I bought the son-in-law, who has yet to shoot it. I think he has retired my TC Firehawk. The Omega and Triumph are hands off for him. I paid $179.00 for that Firehawk brand new many years ago and it will shoot with the best of today's rifles. It has always been a sub 1" shooter @ 100 yds and an easy loader. The Triumph well it loads really tough but shoots and handles well. I put a leupold 3x9x40 on it. It has that perfect feel to it.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:04 AM

HM you're absolutely right, most of us, at one time or another have to buy within our budget and we all know you end up getting what you pay for in most cases.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 PM
B&C 100 Class

FG yeah you should start a new topic for accuracy I plan on making a video of TC groups at range soon as hunting season ends. Groups are same hole with very little staggering up or down sub moa left or right movement. I'll have to get some more speed loaders don't want vid to be to long will be shooting off sandbags may do better in a sled but sub moa is good for me at 100 yards. Gun brands aside that scope you got HM is a dandy I own the same scope it is definitely worth the price. Very clear and tough as nails. I have run mine over by mistake with a truck blown it off the H&R 12 GA Ultralight slug gun. Not heavy barrel soldered on scope rail was still with the scope & prw rings. That gun kicked so hard... I would not recommend that gun never seen a scope rail attached to a barrel in such a way. The scope after all this in my mind is nothing short of amazing still holds zero. I will never need to buy another scope for my muzzleloader or slug gun if i still owned one that is. Lifetime warranty is a big plus very comprehensive also thought I may have to use it a few times but boy was I wrong.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 PM

The Omega scope is on par with medium priced leupold scopes. It is a very good scope for a ML rifle.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Banned

not big on that bdc stuff, often those lines are never on place unless your using those crappy pellets.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 AM

I tried pellets years ago and knew the first day they are not for me. The BDC on my cross bow is dead nuts for every 10 yds. With the Nikon bdc and having only used the first two seems pretty accurate also. I can't see me shooting anything beyond 150 yds anyway so for me it works. I may re-consider if setting up a $1000.00 rig but for the average ML hunter, I think the BDC line-up have their place. I still laugh when someone tells me there is no difference between pellets and loose powders like Black Horn and then have them shoot both that's when they realize there is a whole lot of difference. When my son was shooting pellets at age 14, I had him try loose powder which sent him back to the truck not wanting to shoot anymore. So for youth or those with recoil issues pellets may have a place.