CVA Optima - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin2 View Post
Have you fella's that use loose powder, changed your breech plug to a larger hole plug or are you still using the factory breech plug ? Heard with BH 209 powder you should go to a larger fire hole. Thanks, mike
You could get the other plug for the extra 45$ or if you can send the gun back for refund & use the extra 45$ to get the TC Omega no firing problems there or Mods needed sub moa right out of the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Banned

bh209 BP is a whole lot better than the omegas. Western powders designed the QRBP BH209 plug with a better flame channel and provides smooth flowing transition point at the flash hole.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Banned

Whats up with these stalkers anyway? You try helping others out and others attack you for it LOL. Tuff guys always under the unregistered name.

Last edited by frontiergander; 12-10-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

I'm not stalking you. You don't have to leave I just said the omega plug was a good plug for all kinds of powders never had ignition problems. Unregistered am I missing something here I thought I was already registered I did the sign up thing.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:34 PM
Banned

well it looks like the mods took care of all of that.

The omega being able to shoot bh209 wasnt planned, as ive said before, no one was ready for bh209 when it hit the market. When bh209 first came out it was supposed to be able to shoot in everything with a 209 primer, any brand of primer and that just wasnt what we got. Certainly not complaining though!

But when the company themselves designs a plug for a certain gun, you know they have done their homework and that is the plug to use. 60* transition taper from flash channel to flash hole creates a smoother operating plug to get the hot gasses into the powder.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:39 AM
B&C 100 Class

The plug is made in Spain for CVA guns due to CVA not willing to change the plugs running & still running plug design that is supplied with the gun. Making another plug to buy is just a way to net even more profits. They do not make a special blackhorn209 plug for the Omega or any TC gun from Western Powders. I cant seem to find Western Powders affiliation with this plugs design or the making of it at all. It looks to be a cva product to me. Purchase CVA Blackpowder and Muzzleloading Products Online

Thompson/Center (T/C) unveils the first muzzleloader to incorporate a common 209 shotgun primer into an inline muzzleloader. This leads T/C to take its Encore rifle and tweak the existing design to become the first 209-primer, break-action muzzleloader. Thompson/Center continues to drive innovation, and, in 2002 The Omega was introduced first drop action inline. They pioneered this stuff others just copied. BH209 was trademarked in 2007 by western powders. It got to shooters hands by march 2008. The Omega got a redesigned plug around 2005 for pellet support & was the test gun for this 209 primer only powder this Co pioneered this 209 breech plug design. I would say it was planned in this case the powder was designed around this companies breech plug design after all they pioneered the design. I will say however I think it was not the intention of Western Powders to make a powder that only TC guns. With a TC designed breech plug could fire reliably. I think they admits to that in some small way as seen here under non compatible plugs or poor design. Ignition Guidelines Blackhorn 209

You can read more about TC & what they pioneered in the link below. They might not have pioneered blackhorn 209 powder but the powder was made for their guns for sure. It was designed around them mostly the Omega. TC inlines have this same plug design just upgraded a bit like quick release & so on but in a nut shell same plug. Rifle History - Rifle Timeline - Popular Mechanics
Old 12-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Banned

Western Powders makes the improved bh209 plugs for the cva guns as well, i use them.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 PM
B&C 100 Class

What the hell o rings come with the plug really if any primer fits that loose to be able to fit a o ring in there or to need one that's a big design flaw. I have never had blow back issues or need for o rings to make a primer fit with my omega or need to adjust head space for any reason. Trigger come with a light pull crisp n clean. I just don't understand why you would buy a product for less just to turn around & have to pump all this time & money into it to get it right. It should come as promised from the factory light trigger proper head space proper breech plug design so on. In the end after all the stuff you have to do to get the gun working right cost of parts mods adjustments so on. You end up paying double what you would have paid for a TC that out of the box would need no adjustments or mods or after market parts to shoot sub moa. I don't get it but that's just my opinion for the kinda money both cva & tc cost to buy if it don't come to me right I aint gonna keep it. Biggest upgrade I have done to my gun was a scope & sight in no further adjustments were needed. I don't see to many mods done or available to the TC guns. Maybe they don't need em & there is no market or profit in it.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:27 PM
Banned

CVA, Traditions even the older knights and TC's allow for a wide variety of primers. They dont all come in the same length or width, Some of the encores, omegas can not use certain primers or else the actions will not shut/hammer will not pull back.

If you want to talk about pumping $$ into a product, theres a whole lotta tc encore owners that will show you exactly what big $$ is in order to get their gun to shoot right.

Ive had an omega, it could have used some head spade adjustment with the 777 primers as it was sooty in the action, one reason i sold it, along with a winchester apex. To much trouble to pull apart.

You think TC is the best and I like CVA. No winners or losers, just happy customer with what ever gun we like best.

What kind of groups does your omega shoot? I guess we should make a new topic for this lol.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierGander View Post
What kind of groups does your omega shoot? I guess we should make a new topic for this lol.
Hey FG, I DO know how the Omega shoots and I DO know how the Optima, the Accura, the Wolf AND the Apex all shoot BUT I GUARANTEE neither of them can match the accuracy of a Traditions Vortek.
The new topic should be, "How come they can't get their Muzzleloaders to shoot as accurate as the Traditions Vortek?" Now that's a good topic!!!