Possible dangerous muzzleloader - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 04-04-2012, 04:00 PM
B&C 140 Class

Default Possible dangerous muzzleloader

Hey guys have any of you seen or read this?
Dangerous Muzzleloaders
daddus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 PM
B&C 140 Class

After reading this further this may refer to older models of the above mentioned gun
daddus
Old 04-04-2012, 05:34 PM
B&C 100 Class

guess i'll check my #'s now!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 PM

I don't know what to make of it. Seems like someone has a vendetta or there is a really big quality issue???
Old 04-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddus1 View Post
Hey guys have any of you seen or read this?
Dangerous Muzzleloaders
daddus
Oh boy this again! Its the same Wakeman scare tactics he tried to use to take customers away from cva & traditions and bring them over to shoot what ever rifle company that was paying him.

He won't ever tell any one about the savage Ml's he personally has blown up or that fact that they have exploded in other shooters hands. But again, any time a gun blows kaboom, we will NEVER know the true story behind it.

Hes lost a lot of ground over the years and people are taking him as a joke these days.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:33 PM
B&C 120 Class

I came across this issue a few years ago, from what I could gather it was some CVA guns made in 1995 and 1996. Since then there doesn't seem to be any more issues or incidents. Randy Wakeman seems to be a very knowledgeable guy, but it also seems to me that he likes to pick on anything that isn't either Knight or T/C. But there obviously were some problems with '95-'96 guns made by CVA. According to him, anything made by either CVA or Traditions is junk. I think that is a total fallacy.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
B&C 140 Class

Thanks guys,
That is why I posted this to see who is pounding smoke where,
thanks again
daddus
There is always someone with a vendetta
Old 12-04-2012, 06:51 PM
B&C 100 Class

Many years ago, CVA made a rifle called the Apollo. There are still some of them floating around in fact. Some of the early models had a faulty breech plug that would let loose and blow backward. The results were injuries and lawsuits that basically put CVA into bankruptcy. BPI (Black Powder Industries) purchased CVA and reformed the company. Chuck Hawks, and Randy Wakeman in particular do have safety concerns about CVA/BPI. The barrels are made in Spain. They do not require extensive testing of the barrels before they can be imported to the United States. In fact on the barrel is a pressure rating that technically would be considered unsafe with many of the current loads. Is that rating the top of what the barrel can take? I doubt it, because they could never settle the law suits. There are no regulations in the black powder industry that says you must test your barrels to this point. And that is what Randy Wakeman and others are upset about. Also they claim there were barrels that blew up but because of legal maneuvering, the facts of the incident can not be made public.

So the question is, are CVA, Beartooth magnum, Traditions, A&H, Winchester, Remington all safe? Since all their barrels are made in Spain in the same area and many are inter related to each other... Well those barrels are among the top sellers volume wise in the United States. I read the paper and have not read about a massive number of barrels blowing up. Anyone who does not take these rifles serious, can make a load that is dangerous. But it does not have to be a CVA to be dangerous. Even the better brands can be.

What I suggest is, if you have fears that the barrels are not safe, then do not purchase the products. I own a few guns some that the barrel comes from Spain like the CVA and many other rifles. I am shooting 100 grains and feel safe with it. I have shot CVA inlines and have shot magnum loads. They handled it fine. They are good shooters as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Banned

TC, Knight do not test all of their barrels. Only savages does and thats for good reason too, its a smokeless powder muzzle loader.
Old 12-05-2012, 02:14 AM
B&C 100 Class

Never said that they do but they do have there own testing facilities here in the usa. Others have been unable to show that imported frontloaders are tested with the charges they recommend--charges that are not recommended by powder manufacturers.