Possible dangerous muzzleloader - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned

They test them at something like 40% over the max limit.

Over at my place I had a few guys from germany and CVA is fairly popular over there as well. When they buy them, they come into germany and MUST go to the proofing house where they stay for up to a month waiting to get tested. The proof house fires them 3 times i believe with charges 30% over max. CVA has their own testing facilities as well, they only test a # of their barrel batch, just like TC and Knight.

Many of us believed that BARREL PROOFING was a mandatory requirement but in my reading and investigating various sources I have found that PROOFING IS NOT A REQUIREMENT IN THE USA.

The UK and all C.I.P.member countries (USA and Switzerland are not CIP members) must follow the UK mandate that all small arms (except for those used by the military) must be proofed by an ACCREDITED PROOF HOUSE.

C.I.P = Commission Internationale Permanente pour l'Epreuve des Armes Feu Portatives (Permanent International Commission for Firearms Testing - commonly abbreviated as C.I.P.

In numerous sources it is stated that the USA does not have regulations or legislation requiring proofing of firearms and IT IS LEFT UP TO THE MANUFACTURER TO DETERMINE IF PROOFING IS NECESSARY.

Last edited by frontiergander; 12-05-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 PM
B&C 100 Class

Maybe they do this in Germany when they import it from Spain. They don't go to a proof house here to be tested after import into the usa. What is the Big Deal About Proof?
You could blow this off as randy chuck agenda but it seems credible to me.
CVA told me no not tested to 20'000 or 25'000 psi Austin & Halleck did further testing in the USA along with TC & others. Thats note worthy in my book.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:40 PM
Banned

CVA does in fact test well over 25k, just not every barrel gets tested, same as the other American muzzleloading companies. TC/knight "GM" Actually dont even test all of their barrels. No barrel Manf. will tell you what they test to the max due to some bubba going, hey i can shoot smokeless once i figger out how much powder is safe to use!

Gunsmith we went to recently said the maximum barrel thickness you can drill to is .025" Someone "bubba he called him lol" thought, hey if thats as much as you can go, im going to flute a barrel to this max and get it nice and light! The guy actually did it for a customer, the customer shot it and the barrel exploded taking off his left hand and part of his face. He lived and sued, but in the end, no insurance, no home, basically got nothing for the encounter.

And yes you are right, the wakeman article has zero credibility in my eyes.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:02 AM
B&C 100 Class

Wakeman is is the pockets of a Tulsa, OK personal injury lawyer with an ax grind with CVA. At least one of the cases that Wakeman and that lawyer spotlight was caused when the new to muzzleloaders guy bought a CVA gun and loaded it with a large volume charge of smokeless powder: Not surprisingly the shooter was badly injured. i met a man who was present on the range when that gun blew up.