bronze bore brush in a sidelock ML - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Scrub Buck

Default bronze bore brush in a sidelock ML

I'm awaiting my first non-inline ML. I have heard that since you can't push the brush all the way through on these older type caplock barrels, that the brush has to be undersized, so you can reverse the direction of the brush without it getting stuck or digging in. This brings several questions:

1. Is the use of the bronze brush necessary?
2. Should I get a .50 brush for this .54 (it's the next closest thing), but will it actually do anything?
3. How many of you put wrap some steel wool around a .50 brush to make it bigger? Does the coarse-ness of the steel wool matter?
4. Is there such thing as brass-wool? And is that better?
5. Any other comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 11:45 AM

never heard of using steel wool in a barrel. I use a lot of patches when barrel cleaning and wrap a brush with one soaked in whatever cleaner I'm using untill they come out clean
Old 12-20-2011, 12:16 PM
B&C 100 Class

same here dry patches only unless there is a lot of fouling then some soaked patches in cleaner followed by a ton of dry patches
Old 12-21-2011, 04:04 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerkyPlinker View Post
I'm awaiting my first non-inline ML. I have heard that since you can't push the brush all the way through on these older type caplock barrels, that the brush has to be undersized, so you can reverse the direction of the brush without it getting stuck or digging in. This brings several questions:

1. Is the use of the bronze brush necessary?
2. Should I get a .50 brush for this .54 (it's the next closest thing), but will it actually do anything?
3. How many of you put wrap some steel wool around a .50 brush to make it bigger? Does the coarse-ness of the steel wool matter?
4. Is there such thing as brass-wool? And is that better?
5. Any other comments?
Take it from someone who has been there. Never put a bronze brush down your non-inline barrel.

I bought my first traditional ML this year. I shot it a few times and came home to clean it. I used a bronze brush and it broke at the base of the bore. It took about three hours to get out.

From now on it is soap and water. After the soap and water a patch to dry it followed by a patch with a little oil. It is then stored muzzle down in the corner so any excess oil runs to the floor.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Scrub Buck

I use a cleaning swab, I guess it's called. It's about the size of a brush, but is made of fabric, and screws on your ramrod. Take your barrel off with the nipple removed and put it in a bucket of hot soapy water. Use the swab to pump water through the complete barrel repeatedly. Get's em clean real fast. Let it dry a bit then use a patch to finish up, use an oiled patch in the bore and you're done. Don't forget to clean and oil the rest of the iron surfaces. Like Crawdaddy said, store it muzzle down. Marty

Last edited by ST40; 12-21-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:04 PM

That's why the new removable breech plugs are the way to go, you push the brush from the rear all the way out the barrel, never worry about loosing a brush in an in-line.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 PM
Scrub Buck

Great info guys. Can't thank you enough.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:32 AM
Banned

i much prefer the Nylon bore brushes. I use them all the time in the sidelock with no trouble. The broze brushes however i have had them bind up. Bronze always wore out fast for me to, try the Nylon, you will like it.