Muzzleloader help! - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 12-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Muzzleloader help!

Okay so I am new to muzzleloading, I bought one to give me another season to deer hunt anyway I am having a bit of a problem with my gun. I have a thompson center impact, I was shooting 250gr shockwave bullets. I went to sight in my gun over the last few days and have had nothing but problems. My very first shot was dead on and little high at 50(just like I wanted it) I then moved back to 100 yards and this is where it went bad. my shots were moving all over the place I would make adjustments to correct the accuracy and the bullet would be off target. after shooting over 15 rounds i began to think it was the scope so i put on a new scope and went back at it the next day. first few shots were on target but needed some adjustments once i started adjusting they started shooting all over the place again. shot another 5 or so shots and the last one did not even hit the plywood target. there was not consistency where the shot would hit say 4in high so i would do the appropriate adjustments and the next shot would be like 12in low it really started to bother me and now I don't know whats wrong.

any tips or help would be great!!! I am now only able to bow hunt during this muzzleloader season because i could never get it sighted in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 PM
B&C 140 Class

Only ones I can get to fly right with the best accuracy and I love them are the powerbelt bullets. I get the 245 gr n shoot 100 gr ( two pellets)

I was having the same problem you were, but I was trying to use sabbots, as soon as I switched to the powerbelts problem solved an I've never looked back.
And another when sighting in with a muzzle loader run a dry patch down the barrel after about ever 3 or 4 shoots.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks! i am considering trying the powerbelts but it is too late now... I was running a dry swab every 2 shots today
Old 12-13-2011, 05:06 AM
B&C 120 Class

No matter what bullet you shoot, someone will have a story about how bad they are. It takes some experimenting to find the right powder/bullet combination. Usually, it is not the bullet. Try reducing the powder charge and see what happens. Once you find the one that works, stay with it.

When sighting a rifle in, always ALWAYS clean the barrel between each shot and let it cool some. I can't stress that enough. Run noeor two patches with bore cleaner on them and follow with one or two dry patches between each shot. Remember, in a hunting situation, 99.9% of the time, your shot is through a clean, cold barrel.

I spent a few years shooting and testing muzzleloaders for a prominent company. As a result, I have had the opportunity to shoot a lot of front-stuffers. I am not a very good shot but I do know how to shoot.

The problem you are having sounds on the surface like barrel fouling. Think about it. If the first shot is dead on, why would the second one not be and why can't you adjust the scope? Start at the muzzle and work your way down eliminating things. Then, start experimenting with loads and bullets.

Step number one is always clean the bore.

Also...it helps to be adept at cussing.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:44 AM
B&C 120 Class

Default Muzzleloader accuracy

I am new to muzzleloading also.I was told to start with 50 grains of 2f powder in a 50 caliber and increase the load in 5 grain increments until I find the most accurate load.In my case,with a 1 in 66 twist barrel,that is 70 grains.My only concern is will this have enough power to kill a deer at 75 yards.I'm shooting the round balls because nothing else is as accurate in this slow twist barrel.

Last edited by 3212; 12-13-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Scrub Buck

Thanks for the great tips. I am considering going from T7 pellets to some blackhorn powder. When shooting i was using a dry patch every 2 shots didn't seem to help. the gun was often on for the first 2-3 shots until it began going crazy. I was unsure if i should use bore cleaner or not when sighting in.. thanks for clearing that up. I am still considering switching up bullets. do you have any suggestions? I have been looking at Powerbels,hornadys and barnes. seem to have better reviews than the T/C shockwaves.

Again thanks for the tips!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 AM
B&C 120 Class

Once again, when it comes to bullets, it is all what your gun likes. I don't think I have ver had any real bas ones. I shoot Premiere because they shoot well and kill well. I also never read an advertisement. I have been shooting Pyrodex pellets for many years for the same reason. When something works for me, I see no reason to change and fully realize, it may not work for you.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Scrub Buck

I have one older TC that is like this{must clean between shots or..} yet I have an even older TC Thunderhawk that seems to shoot as well on the 5-6 shot without cleaning as it does on the first.
Muzzleloaders are just crazy like that.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:11 AM
B&C 120 Class

Hi W&S: I set up a new T/C Triumph 2 yrs ago for a young friend of mine, also a newcomer to muzzleloading, with 777 pellets and Hornady SST's(these are Shockwave's, T/C does not manufacture bullets). In 3 shots we had it 2" high at 50 yds, I thought "great". Moved him back to 100yds, hits all over the place. Long story short, he wasn't getting the bullet seated all the way down hard on the pellets, 777 likes to make a "crud ring" down by the breech plug and after a few shots was impeding the bullet seating. I marked his loading rod at the muzzle, (should've done that right away)and then no more problem, gun shoots well. You need to be using 777 primers with 777, makes a big difference in accuracy. Regular 209 primers are too hot for 777. I can't say that your problem is the 777 pellets, I used them for years with great accuracy and no problems other than the crud ring. I switched to Blackhorn this year, and it is great. Consistency is fantastic and the more you shoot, the better the gun loads. And it is easy to use, no worse than pellets. You also need either Federal 209A or CCI209 Magnum primers for B-horn, this stuff needs a lot of heat to light up properly. You'll find that most of the guys here at DHC have gone to B-horn for in-line guns. Anyway, if you stay with the 777 pellets, get some 777 primers, and I would suggest the Easy-Glide Shockwaves, T/C bores are notoriously tight, but that is why they shoot well too. Make sure the bullet is seated firmly on the pellets, swab between shots, and that gun should shoot fine. Let us know how you make out when you experiment a little more.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:31 AM

great post above. i would suggest the Black horn powder also. I currently have CCI 209 ml primers and Remington ML 209 and I like the Remington primers a little better, just a personal observation. This fall at the range I had 2 CCI primers that failed to go off????