Deer Hunting Forums banner

Problem with Omega and Pyrodex

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  midwestprowler 
#1 ·
Hey Guys: A young friend of mine has an Omega(new last year)and is using Pyrodex pellets and standard Winchester 209 primers. His first shot at 100 yds is good, second and third shots are totally off the paper!! Cleans the barrel, lets the gun sit a half hour, same thing-first shot is good, next two are off the paper. I haven't had time to sit with him yet and see what is going on and I have already convinced him to make the jump to Blackhorn, but for the hell of it, I would like to know what is causing this. I know that 777 primers work much better with 777 and Pyrodex powders from my own testing. I read that Pyrodex pellets have a coating on one side to aid ignition, I don't know if that is true or not, 777 pellets do not. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

#2 ·
Problems like that are hard to figure out without being there to see it. Usually the reverse is true that the 2nd & 3rd shots are closer with a bit of fouling taking place. I've never been a proponet of pellets. What bullets is he using? I too would switch to BH or 777 loose powder and change bullet weights and switch primers to CCI or Remington. If he is using 250 gr bullets I'd opt to a heavier weight 260-290 gr. Good luck in helping your buddy.

#3 ·
Pyrodex Problem

Thanks HM- I know, it's acting ass backwards, but instead of wasting time on it, I'm just going to eliminate it by getting him set up for B-horn, he's ready to make the switch anyway. Illinois muzzleloader weekend this coming weekend, I've got 3 different BIG bucks left yet in my area, but they have pretty much gone nocturnal. Oh well, we'll see what happens.

#6 ·
Yeah, he's really not using the right primers for Pyrodex anyway, we'll fix all that with the Bhorn and Federal 209A primers. Thanks HM, luck is what it will take to see one of those bucks again, I may as well throw a dart as to where to start Friday morning. Our rut this year was way out of kilter, of the big bucks I managed to see not one of them had does and the biggest one of the bunch was still traveling with a little fork horn, the others by themselves. Ditto for guys I talked to who hunt other areas. I actually watched that biggest one checking a line of scrapes on our opening morning of gun season which was Nov. 18. Generally here the rut is winding down or pretty much over by that time, yet here is this giant buck still trying to round up girlfriends. But I'll give it another whirl, still better than sittin' at home watching Jerry Springer.

#7 ·
Hey you probably knew this but just in case when he dose switch.
Remember to clean with water based solvents 1st dry very well then clean with oil based solvents. If you don't you will end up with a real mess of tar like stuff all over. BH209 oil solvent ok water based solvent = tar Pyro t7 BP Water based solvent ok oil based solvent = tar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.