Deer Hunting Forums banner

powder???

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  huntinman 
#1 ·
first time posting here and need some expertise from you guys,,,,

i recently bought a cva wolf for my wife to use deer hunting,, i will be using pyrodex pellets and powerbelt bullets,, i bought some 245 aerotip,, my question is can i use 50grains of powder?? i want the recoil to be minimal for her,, 5'1 110lbs,,, i dont want to scare her away from shooting it if it kicks too hard for her ,,,, but i also want it to be able to kill a deer 100 yds,,, thanks for the help/input

#2 ·
I know there are 50 and 30 gr pellets. You could load up 80 grains and see how she responds to the recoil and how the rifle likes the load combination. I shoot loose powder in all my BP rifles and can tell you there is a big difference in felt recoil between 2-50 gr pellets and 100 gr of loose powder. If she has shot any hunting rifles like a 30-30 she should be able to handle 2-50 grain pellets. Just think about the 80 grain pellet combination as a starter for her. Good luck and happy hunting!

G
#8 ·
the only rifles she has shot is a 243.. she wont shoot my 270..,, i appreciate the info,, i will be using the pellets,, easier to load, especially reloading after shooting a deer,

ive never shot 50gr in a ml and was wondering if it had enough power to kill a whitetail deer at 75-100 yards,, was wondering if anyone has used 50gr for hunting,,,,,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.