Deer Hunting Forums banner

New to the club.

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
Just joined the club. It's been a lot of years since I hunted and plan to renew my hobby in 2011. Since I want to do some black powder hunting decided to get an "in line" rifle this year and retire my T/C traditional rifle. After much discussion at Bass Pro Shop I bought a CVA Accura (50 cal.). It looks like real quality and hope I am happy with my decision.

Any one in the forum have any experience with the new CVA line of guns?
Norb

#9 ·
Welcome back to hunting Norb! I use a 2004 CVA Optima Pro 209, not as nice as their new lineup, but super accurate gun. As far as your load selection, Triple 7 is good, I used it for 7 yrs before switching to Blackhorn 209. If you are a loose powder guy, I would highly recommend this stuff, it pours great, shoots accurate, cleans up nice and you can shoot 20 or more rounds without swabbing. I also picked up about 200fps more with the same 100gr charge. If you go with it you will need to use either Federal 209A or CCI 209M primers, with the 777 you will need either Winchester 777 or Remington Kleanbore primers. Don't overlook primers, they will turn a sloppy erratic group into a sub MOA group. As far as Powerbelts go, see how your gun shoots them then go kill something with them so you can see if you like the terminal performance. Everybody likes something different. Good luck this hunting season!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.