Deer Hunting Forums banner

rough day at range!

3K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  turbohawk1 
#1 ·
Had trouble sighting in my scope on my TC triumph. I was all over the place. Im using triple 7 pellets 100 grains and a 250 grain TC shockwave. This is all new to me being mostly a bow hunter. If anyone could give me some advice on sighting in a scope i would really appreciate it! I was half tempted to take the scope off and go with the open sights!!!!

#2 ·
After last Thursday and the Omega issues I probably shouldn't comment. I will though :nerd:. I always start at 25 yds to get on paper and get bullet position at 12:00 and slight high. As long as my group is clustered together then I move to 60yds which is our club's short range max. If all is well then out to 100 yd range and set the groups at 1-1.5" high. For extreme flyers there has to be something wrong. I would go back over the scope mounts then try again. If that fails then change the powder load and the bullet weight or another product. I hope my Omega simply doesn't like the 250 gr and will group with another bullet, otherwise TC gets a call and most likely send the rifle back to them for inspection. The possibility exists that the scope is bad! Good luck. I do not like pellets, prefer Black Horn loose powder.

#10 ·
I am by far an expert in ballistics, however I have always started at 25 yards, honed it in to an easy to remember impact point in relation to the crosshairs, then extend the range as far as the facility allows.

I then take a large panel (cardboard / plywood) and mark (& label) a separate bullseye for 25, 50, 75, 100, etc all the way out to MY maximum range. I then fire two rounds at each bullseye from each range to document the actual bullet strike.

I personally go on to photograph the end product for quick reference at a later time.

Realizing it is different than black powder ballistics, here is what it looks like with my .270. The yellow line reflects MY "50 yard zero."

On my black powder rifle, since I use high mounts, my point of impact is closer to 1 1/2'' below the bullseye at 25 yards in order to keep the trajectory flat thus requiring less range estimation accuracy on my part which I am horrible at.

Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.