HELP can't shoot a patern - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 09-05-2011, 08:53 PM
Scrub Buck

Default HELP can't shoot a patern

Hi am new and have been muzzle loader hunting for 4 or 5 years now I have a T&C Triumph have been shooting pyrodex 50/50 pellets, Hornady 300 grain bullets and Winchester 209 primers tonight getting ready for the hunts I couldn't shoot a pattern to save my life, I would shoot 3 shots and clean gun 3 more and clean, never was there 2 shots that were close to one another. can anyone give me some help?? Thanks.. I even had my brother shoot my gun it wasn't me pulling or anything like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 11:57 PM

Scope?

Iron Sights?

My triumph is just as accurate as anything I shoot with in the woods. I believe the only difference in your load and mine is I use Shockwaves instead of the Hornady.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:00 AM

In my Triumph I shoot 100 gr Black Horn powder, 250 gr Shock waves and super slide sabots. I don't like pellets in any ML'der. If scoped then the issue could be loose mounts, faulty scope. Iron sights then make sure the barrel is clean no corrosion issues, and change bullet/powder combinations. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Scrub Buck

I have a 1 power scope on it I will check the mounts. in the barrel it does look like there is some corrosion it there but I bought the gun with the weather shield coating, is that just for the outside of the gun, I have cleaned after every shooting I don't know why it would be rusty?? maybe I will go get some shock wave bullets.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian o View Post
Hi am new and have been muzzle loader hunting for 4 or 5 years now I have a T&C Triumph have been shooting pyrodex 50/50 pellets, Hornady 300 grain bullets and Winchester 209 primers tonight getting ready for the hunts I couldn't shoot a pattern to save my life, I would shoot 3 shots and clean gun 3 more and clean, never was there 2 shots that were close to one another. can anyone give me some help?? Thanks.. I even had my brother shoot my gun it wasn't me pulling or anything like that.
old pyordex? get new stuff
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Banned

that coating on the gun is just applied to the outside of the barrel. Always fully clean your gun at the end of the day.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Scrub Buck

Thanks for the help. the stinking scope was loose I tightened it and at 50 yards it is shooting 1 1/2 pattern I ran out of time want to try 150 yards and zero it in tomorrow. my powder is only a year old is that to old??
Old 09-06-2011, 07:15 PM

Powder should be fine..

Glad you figured out it was only a scope issue.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Scrub Buck

I am wondering if I should spend the money and time on bullets and different powder to see if I get any different results. but I don't think I need I need to get that picky? what do you guys think.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:41 PM

If its accurate, its accurate. No need to mess with it unless you are just trying to make it perfect accurate. If you dont want to spend the money I wouldnt. As long as you can take a deer comfortably without worrying about injuring it without killing it I would be happy with just accurate.

Thats just my thoughts though. Im not a long range shooter. I spend all my time hunting in the woods where I will hardly ever have a shot over 80 yards.