Deer Hunting Forums banner

Cheap-A: CVA or Traditions

63K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  midwestprowler 
#1 ·
been a archery guy exclusively, (no rifles in Ohio) but my buddies keep telling me how muzzleloaders are just like a rifle, so I am considering a cheap one.

any pros or cons that make or break the deal between the $200 Traditions Buck Stalker or the $230 CVA Wolf?? (black/blue)

any advice is much appreciated!

#20 ·
Im no pro and you will get some CVA lovers say CVA is way better and some Traditions lovers say Traditions is way better.

To me they are about the same other than the $30 you would save by going with a Traditions.
somebody told me there made by the same company the buck stalker looks a lot like the cva wolf i just ordered one for $180 from dicks better price then gander mtn

#6 ·
I won't try to sway you either way as I'm a big TC fan. Sometimes going cheaper isn't a sound investment at any cost. Anyway, ML hunting is a very close second for me in the enjoyment department. I love flintlocks for PA but have several in-lines for Ohio hunting too. I always try to steer people to save a few dollars more and at least get into the middle of the road models and get a decent scope for it. Modern in-lines will shoot 200 + yds with practice. Use your buddies for load information or we can help and it depends on what brand ML you buy. There are a few CVA fans here, Traditions come in second to TC. If you check out Auction arms or Gun Broker you can find some great buys for new or high quality used models and you generally don't need a FFL dealer transfer. I picked up my TC Triumph for 250.00. Good luck

#7 ·
I'd choose the Traditions over any cva, the Buckstalker w/scope is an awesome package, the scope is superb out to 200 yards in fair lighting but in low light conditions or greater distances you'll probably want to opt for a high dollar scope.
Good Luck

#10 ·
bdave,
Welcome to the forum. All I have to say about any cheap deer rifle is when the 160 or 170 class buck walks out is it going to enter your mind, should I have gotten the better gun for a little more money? Plus if you spend the extra bucks the rifle you buy may even appreciate in value rather than decline. Granted this is a very narrow view but just a thought!
daddus

#11 ·
Wolf. Much better customer service, better triggers that are not plastic. I really love mine. Im using it in Colorado this year.
This is what it shoots like at 100 yards with 100gr blackhorn209, cci 209m primers and the 250gr powerbelt aerolites.

3 shot group.

$230, does that come with a scope set up? Dpms firearms, panther arms, dpms panther arms, dpms, dpms firearms, dpms guns has them for around $150-$160 depending what colors you want on the stock.

#12 ·
well, I couldn't help myself... the $200 Traditions Buckstalker nickel barrel with scope delivered to my door was too hard to pass up. Cabela's is running free shipping right now.

I appreciate all the feed back! hopefully it won't be a decision I regret. just noticed though, I think this model was prior to the Traditions Accelerator Breech Plug, so I might have to mess with a stupid wrench?

bring on the powder/bullet combinations that you like best. my buddy has the Traditions Vortek and says Hornady is the way to go.

maybe I'll stumble on another one of these fellas this year...

Attachments

#14 ·
thanks man! finally bailed my Buckstalker out of UPS jail last night. looks like a quality gun.

any thoughts on this guy's review? Traditions Buckstalker: Reviewing a Budget Brush Muzzleloader

I am interested in this quote, "Best results were 1-1/2" groups with 100gr of Blackhorn 209 and 250gr Hornady SST bullets and sabots."

do ya'll recommend the old loose powder like this blackhorn or lean towards those cylinder pellets? seems like if you get the tubes, you could still easily reload without hassle...

I think I'll give this suggestion a try though with the possibility of tight groups at 200 yds.

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
the reviewers final thoughts speaks volumes about the buckstalker, 1-1/2" grouping is amazing.
There are many variables that play key roles in grouping, A shooter may never have optimal shooting conditions when shooting his muzzleloader
and many shooters get discouraged by poor grouping only to blame it on the weapon but I'd bet most of the problems are created by shooter error,
projectile/powder combinations or weather conditions, those are the most likely culprits but 1-1/2" grouping with a muzzleloader is respected by any hunter/shooter.

I get good groups with Triple7 pellets so that's what I use but if a shooter isnt satisfied with the grouping he/she gets from pellets, loose powder will allow for many more projectile/powder combinations. Good Luck

Reviewers "Final Thoughts:

The Buckstalker lives up to its billing as a compact, lightweight and feature packed budget in-line muzzleloader. The quality and features can be found on rifles that retail for twice as much as the Buckstalker making it a steal. The Buckstalker and Traditions Scope Kit allow you to hunt for less with the confidence you have a durable rifle that will last season after season. It is a quality muzzleloading brush gun that wont break the bank."

#16 ·
In more years of muzzleloader hunting than I care to admit, I've either had, or shot, about every make of gun there is, and never have had one to let me down. Just find one you like, and don't worry about who makes it, or what somebody else thinks about it. Most guns these days are good. If it fits you, and is within your budget, go for it. Just do your part by careful loading, and proper cleaning, and maintenance, and you'll be fine.

#22 ·
cva wolf

been a archery guy exclusively, (no rifles in Ohio) but my buddies keep telling me how muzzleloaders are just like a rifle, so I am considering a cheap one.

any pros or cons that make or break the deal between the $200 Traditions Buck Stalker or the $230 CVA Wolf?? (black/blue)

any advice is much appreciated!
i got a $200 CVA wolf at dicks that came with a bushnell scope. winchester shotshell 209s. hodgen pydrodex pellets. tc shockwave sabots with yellow casings. shot so well my hole were touching, very good gun

G
#23 ·
traditions buckstalker

i just recently bought a traditions buckstalker muzzleloader. and i noticed that after a shot the breach usually twists out alittle n sometimes even wedges then i bought cant break the barrel open. does anyone know,is this a normal thing or am i not doing something right?

#27 ·
No in fact it's a shame to you can't buy a computer made in the usa or build one from us materials. Comparing cars & computers most all of that are made overseas anyways foreign or domestic to a gun is like apples to oranges. Its like clothing how much of it is made in america. In fact most everything is made overseas that's the problem & we support american companies losing most business to foreign rivals by buying the products. Buying based on price is not always a good bet. Foreign rivals keep prices low in may ways with conflicting international laws & loopholes in it. Child labor lower quality cheaper to produce materials are just a few ways. I drive a chevy & sad to say a Honda has more US content but a lower quality steel is used & uni-body chassis platforms in most cases. Not to say it is lower quality in all areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.