Deer Hunting Forums banner

Barnes Spit Fire EZ Sabots

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  midwestprowler 
#1 ·
It was 53 degrees when I got up this morning here in Williamsport,Pa so I thought it looks like a trip to the range for some experimentation.
Took the 50 cal encore pro and some Barnes spit fire 290 grain bullets (blue sabot)EZ load and Blackhorn over and shot 8 shots. They loaded really nice the petals came out with equal rifling on them and all the petals seperated like they were supposed to. There wasn't to much difference between shot 1 and shot eight. I intentionally did not clean between shots and it didn"t seem to matter either in accuracy or loading. I sort of like this setup and might use it this year. I did use the yellow sabot but if you don't remember to bring your wooden mallet it was sometimes hard to load them. lol
Anyone else use or like this setup or comments??
daddus

#2 · (Edited)
I use that setup in my Omega with BH209 powder & cci mag primers. I had same results The HPH-24 sabot aka blue sabot made for Barnes Spit Fire T-EZ. I use the 250 grain bullets tho. Sounds like the 290 with that sabot do the same thing punch the same hole. 1 shot on clean 3 shots on dirty barrel I only had maybe 2 or 4 16ths of a inch movement from the original bullet hole making it a bit bigger. If it was not for that small movement I would not be able to tell if I hit the target. I have never had that happen to me with a muzzleloader or well any gun punching the same hole that close. That blue sabot supplied from Barnes you can buy cheaper at Sabots Muzzleload Magnum Products Blackpowder-sabots blackpowder accessories & projectiles 50 Cal. Rifle .451 - .452 Bullet Black HPH/24 Same sabot but its black in place of blue. This is from Barnes site showing the sabots used as packaged Best Accuracy For Your Muzzleloader | Barnes Bullets
I buy the bullets from Barnes in bulk with no sabots much cheaper then the package of em supplied with sabots. I then go to MMP to get the sabots very cheap to buy.

I think Hunting Man has been playing with them sabots bullets also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.