Deer Hunting Forums banner

Bh 209

12K views 41 replies 5 participants last post by  Muley 
#1 ·
Has anyone used BH209 with T/C Triumph? What load works the best?

#4 ·
i too would start off at 90 and work your way up.

I use CCI 209 Magnums, the TC's though i hear are cleaner using the Winchester W209 primers.

Carry an 1/8" drill bit with you as well and clean the flash channel out after 3 shots. That 1/8" channel gets clogged up pretty quickly with carbon so its important to keep it clean.

#10 ·
Triumph will most likely like 100 gr BH 209, CCI mag primers, TC superglide sabots/250 gr shockwave bullets. This is a tight load in the TC but pretty accurate combination. FG suggests lapping the bore to polish out any areas in-order to ease up the loading pressure required. Congrats on the purchase of the best production line of ML rifles out there! While the Leupold rifleman scope that I installed on my Triumph is not a ML scope I had it and it was new and I think I will get many years of service from it. Time will tell. I still think a 3x9x40 scope is more than ever fully justified for the new long range shooting ML rifles. Again congrats!

#16 ·
What FG really wanted to say was CVA, TC, Lyman, Traditions, ect might benefit from an internal polishing. He didn't mean to imply that only TC could benefit. You don't want to polish the CVA's too much do to the extreme overbores and thus having the bullet/sabot fall right out of the barrel if you happen to tip it downwards. :w00t:

#18 ·
muley, omegas have a wide variety of bore sizes.

The triumps on the other hand are well known for tight bores. Everyone on huntingnet that owns a trump, 99% of the time has to use JB Bore paste in it. Not making this stuff up guys. This isnt unheard of if you've been on some up to date forums.

All of my barrels get it, You can shoot a barrel smooth but IMO any nicks or burrs in the bore are just filling up with lead/copper rather than being smoothed out properly.

Its awesome to use on triggers as well but you do have to mix a bit more oil in with the paste or else it gets a very tight gummy feeling.

Muley, my old omega had a .502" bore as well. tc maxiballs you could practically blow it down the barrel and it would seat lol

#19 ·
I was still surprised that it was so loose. When I talked to TC they told me the Omega and Triumph have basically the same barrel except for length. I was expecting a tight barrel. Even Powerbelts and sabots were too loose.

Along with the trigger. I wasn't impressed with their quality control.

I've never heard of a CVA that the .500 Thor didn't fit perfect. I didn't even bother with the Thor sample kit. I just ordered the .500.

I like the TC sidelocks. Not so much for the inlines.

#20 ·
If I had to rank them out I'd have TC, Traditions, then CVA a distant third. That's just how I see it. Most of all the people I know and hunt with are TC fans, there's a solid historical quality reason for it! To all those in the market for a new/used muzzleloader, you don't have to look no farther than TC line of products. Every TC rifle I have ever owned was a great shooting, accurate, and quality made product, what else needs to be said? Someday CVA will be able to say that, too! Heading to work!

#23 · (Edited)
In all do respect Muley, I hear so much crap about CVA's that someone has to try to balance the facts a bit here. CVA made some of the biggest junk ML out there for many many years, you know it and so do I. I have owned many ML rifles over the years and currently have around 8, and can/will offer some insight as to quality vs quality. I don't own a Wolf model so you get your kudo's for that model. You won't be able to convince me that a low end CVA is anything close to a TC product. Sorry but that's the way it is. Your opinion is just that only your's. We (all) get that much here. We can argue all day and nothing will come of it. Be happy with your new rifle even if it is a CVA. If I had my choise I'd have a $4000.00 custom Hawken in the vault and not worry about standard production rifles. This old topic is going to get interesting again, I think.

#24 ·
Of course we all have our opinion. We also rag on each other in fun, because we like different brands.

In this case i'm not talking about rumors. I talk about my experiences in owning the guns. I know that CVA has had problems in the past. That doesn't mean in applies with the new models.

Even though the Wolf is a lower priced gun. It's CVA's best selling gun. That doesn't work for a gun that isn't any good. No matter what the price is. Buyers/hunters want a gun that works.

The Wolf has the same trigger and receiver that the Optima does. It has a Bergara barrel. It's not stainless steel (which I don't like), and it doesn't have the final polish that the Accura does, but JB will solve that along with some shooting. Mine shot right out of the box. A sub MOA @100yds is impressive to me for an y gun. My Omega never did it after trying a ton of loads. The Wolf did it with the first load.

The Omega had blow back. The Wolf has none. The Omega had creep in the trigger and a 6lb pull. The Wolf has no creep, and a 3 3/4lb pull. Thw Wolf has an excellent recoil pad. No reason to change it. The Omega pad sucked, and I had to buy a Simms Limbsaver pad for it.

The ramrod fell out after every shot on the Omega. The Wolf doesn't. The Omega shot BH 209 with no alterations. So does the Wolf.

The Omega bruised my cheek with hunting loads. It just didn't fit me. The Renegade is even worse. The Wolf fits me perfect, and hunting loads don't bother me. The Wolf is lighter than the Omega, and has less recoil. (?)

For the same price, the Wolf came with a nice gun case, Konus Pro scope, Durasight mounts, and bore sighted.

TC is now owned by S&W. Will the service be the same. There is none right now. They're moving. Not a guess. I've talked to them on the phone. They said I couldn't talk to tech for 3 months.

So, tell me HM. What part of TC is better?

#25 ·
I forgot. It was impossible to sight in the Omega with the sights it came with. With the rear sight as low as it would go. The gun still shot high. TC was aware of this, and sent me a higher front sight from another model. I had to modify it to fit, but the gun still shot high.

Quality? Not from my view.

#26 ·
Here are some interesting personal facts, I do not know anyone other than those few here that shoot CVA rifles. The absolute clear winner is TC, followed by Traditions, Knight, Lyman. This could be a regional thing, east of the Mississippi thing, historical quality issue and concerns, whatever, the fact is I just don't see people using CVA. If you do great, enjoy the heck out of them just don't believe all the hoopla being thrown around the old mud pit. Here is another interesting fact: the origional Hawken rifles had a rather hourglass bore that constricted in the middle and opened up at both ends. I assume the muzzle open bore was for loading easement. However, accuracy was not compromised. Pretty weird when compared to today's concentric bores.- and those complaining about tight/loose bores.

#28 · (Edited)
HM..........It really has nothing to do with quality based on who buys what gun. They sold a lot of Edsel's too.:no:

I think CVA sales were hurt by one past gun. Those weren't Bergara barrels. I'm not sure you're aware that some TC owners put Bergara barrels on their guns. It's a fine barrel that isn't going to blow up. CVA guns come with Bergara barrel NOW! Judge the gun we buy NOW!

I'm not knocking TC guns, but they aren't the holy grail either. I had problems with mine. I don't listen to rumors, or what others say about a gun. I experience it for myself, and report what I experienced. Nobody has to believe me, but I just tell the truth with no agenda.

You probably shouldn't talk about a Hawken with me without a little more knowledge. The barrel you describe was a swamped barrel. The outside of the barrel tapered in the middle to save weight. The bore was straight. As far as i know Hawken didn't use a swamped barrel. Maybe on special order, but they're barrels were just straight tapered. Usually from 1 1/8" to 1". Hawken wasn't concerned with weight. Most of the guns weighed from 12-15 lbs.

This is the next Hawken i'm building.

Kit Carson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.