New gun in town - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 06-22-2011, 11:01 PM
Banned

Default New gun in town

Cleaned her up and degreased it with gun scrubber, 60 strokes with JB Bore paste down the bore, internals were lightly coated with Barricade, head space was adjusted .013" outward for a slight crush fit on the primer to prevent primer blow by. One heck of a gun so far! An easy 4 shots and shes ready to go. I will be using this Optima with 100gr Blackhorn209, 250gr Aerolite Powerbelt on my New Mexico mule deer hunt this September.

After 8 shots.

Tomorrow shes gonna get a work out at 100 yards and possibly even 150 yards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 07:51 PM
B&C 100 Class

Looks good!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 PM

Bore butter?

FG, I thought you avoided using BORE Fouling products like Bore Pastes, Bore Butter, Wonder lube... etc.? What helped you finally determine they're good products with great long term benefits?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Konus scope FG? i see Planet optics has these, how are they in quality vs the rest of the pack? I haven't heard of this brand until I saw yours and looked on line. What model did you go with and did you have prior experience with them. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceBruce1959 View Post
Bore butter?

FG, I thought you avoided using BORE Fouling products like Bore Pastes, Bore Butter, Wonder lube... etc.? What helped you finally determine they're good products with great long term benefits?
Bore paste isn't a bore fouling product, its a polishing compound that will help smooth out any imperfections the naked eye can not see, as well as reduce visible scratches, burrs.

Highly recommended by TC users to help with the tighter bores.

The only cleaner i use is Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber as it cleaned Blackhorn209 fouling very easily and it has a rust preventative additive in the same bottle. Basically clean and oil with one product. Just run a few dry patches after its clean and it's good to go.

Last edited by frontiergander; 06-23-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunting Man View Post
Konus scope FG? i see Planet optics has these, how are they in quality vs the rest of the pack? I haven't heard of this brand until I saw yours and looked on line. What model did you go with and did you have prior experience with them. Thanks for the input.
This scope has been on around 4 or 5 different muzzleloaders / rifles in a bit over a year.

I use the Konus Pro 3-10x44 and use high rings " i think you can get away with mediums, but the highs fit my face better". I let my brother compare the optics to his Nikon and he was surprised as heck. Some of my forum members use the exact same scope and these guys used to be Leupold shooters. They said that Konus Pro was clearer than their Leupold's and a heck of a lot cheaper in price.

This is from my forum member who bought a cva combo set up " Wolf- Konus 3-9x32, soft case" I love the scope too. It does more than I expected, and the thin crosshairs are so easy to get on the target at distance. Nice and clear and bright. I like the parallax correction adjustment too.

Hes dead on about the cross hairs. My Pro has the 30-30 reticel which goes from medium to super thin and i normally use a 1/4" bulls eye @ 100 & 150 yards as a 1" circle looks huge in this scope.

I took a picture through my scope today while i was at the range so i will get that uploaded later, along with my range info.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:40 PM
Banned

Guys i had a huge report typed up but due to the limit on pics you get the skimpy version LOL.

I had pure hell today with it being 90.5* at 6PM! and that played a huge part in my headache for accuracy. Anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes in between shots just for the barrel to be cool enough to get a somewhat decent group.

These are my final 3 shots @ 100 yards with the new gun shooting 100gr blackhorn209 and the 250gr Aerolite Powerbelts.

Complete target from today. These Dirty Bird targets are darn useful when comparing loads. I save a lot of energy by using them rather than having to run down and replace my target after 3 shots.

This picture came out great and really shows you how clear that Konus pro is.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:03 AM
B&C 120 Class

Cool pic through the scope FG and I love the look of the thumbhole stock.Waiting to see the results on your camo dip project?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerless View Post
Cool pic through the scope FG and I love the look of the thumbhole stock.Waiting to see the results on your camo dip project?
Yeah thats taking longer than intended but the guy said he'll keep me up to date and get it dipped ASAP. Due to his line of work they moved him and so he had to have his wife send the stock to where hes at now. No biggy, gives me time with the new optima.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:52 PM
B&C 100 Class

Nice shooting!!!