Deer Hunting Forums banner

New gun in town

20K views 73 replies 7 participants last post by  frontiergander 
#1 ·
Cleaned her up and degreased it with gun scrubber, 60 strokes with JB Bore paste down the bore, internals were lightly coated with Barricade, head space was adjusted .013" outward for a slight crush fit on the primer to prevent primer blow by. One heck of a gun so far! An easy 4 shots and shes ready to go. I will be using this Optima with 100gr Blackhorn209, 250gr Aerolite Powerbelt on my New Mexico mule deer hunt this September.

After 8 shots.

Tomorrow shes gonna get a work out at 100 yards and possibly even 150 yards.

See less See more
#3 ·
#5 · (Edited)
http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/7005-bore-butter.html

FG, I thought you avoided using BORE Fouling products like Bore Pastes, Bore Butter, Wonder lube... etc.? What helped you finally determine they're good products with great long term benefits?
Bore paste isn't a bore fouling product, its a polishing compound that will help smooth out any imperfections the naked eye can not see, as well as reduce visible scratches, burrs.

Highly recommended by TC users to help with the tighter bores.

The only cleaner i use is Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber as it cleaned Blackhorn209 fouling very easily and it has a rust preventative additive in the same bottle. Basically clean and oil with one product. Just run a few dry patches after its clean and it's good to go.

#6 ·
This scope has been on around 4 or 5 different muzzleloaders / rifles in a bit over a year.

I use the Konus Pro 3-10x44 and use high rings " i think you can get away with mediums, but the highs fit my face better". I let my brother compare the optics to his Nikon and he was surprised as heck. Some of my forum members use the exact same scope and these guys used to be Leupold shooters. They said that Konus Pro was clearer than their Leupold's and a heck of a lot cheaper in price.

This is from my forum member who bought a cva combo set up " Wolf- Konus 3-9x32, soft case" I love the scope too. It does more than I expected, and the thin crosshairs are so easy to get on the target at distance. Nice and clear and bright. I like the parallax correction adjustment too.

Hes dead on about the cross hairs. My Pro has the 30-30 reticel which goes from medium to super thin and i normally use a 1/4" bulls eye @ 100 & 150 yards as a 1" circle looks huge in this scope.

I took a picture through my scope today while i was at the range so i will get that uploaded later, along with my range info.

#7 ·
Guys i had a huge report typed up but due to the limit on pics you get the skimpy version LOL.

I had pure hell today with it being 90.5* at 6PM! and that played a huge part in my headache for accuracy. Anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes in between shots just for the barrel to be cool enough to get a somewhat decent group.

These are my final 3 shots @ 100 yards with the new gun shooting 100gr blackhorn209 and the 250gr Aerolite Powerbelts.

Complete target from today. These Dirty Bird targets are darn useful when comparing loads. I save a lot of energy by using them rather than having to run down and replace my target after 3 shots.

This picture came out great and really shows you how clear that Konus pro is.

#14 ·
FG, This scope is clearly out of whack, the alignment isnt even close when you compare the crosshairs to the trigger channel.
what's the distance you're shooting at here? looks to be about 25/30 yards.

#13 ·
Got her sighted in perfectly a couple days ago boys. Adjusted her to the left 6 clicks and 12 clicks up so shes center and shooting 3" High @ 100 yards. I did take a 5 shot group but blew the 4th shot out :( Darn barrel heat! Hell, darn heat just in general! Weather has been horrible lately

#18 ·
Well after late this evening, theres noooo friggin chance im touching the scope! LOL.

I upped my charge from 100gr to 110gr Blackhorn209 with the 250gr Aerolite. Surprisingly the recoil felt less with the 110gr load? This i dont understand but i'll take it!

100 yards 3 shots.

#22 ·
To get the bullet where you need it you still have to change the settings, why not make it right and level it out? I guess I like things to be right?? It would frustrate the heck out of me to see the scope not level every time I looked at it, but that's just me. Red bull not orange.

#23 ·
i normally never sight in to hit the bulls eye. Once its gone you " or at least i" have a hard time placing the shot close to exact same spot i previously was aiming at.

The POI needs to come down a bit so its only 3" high @ 100. That should put me dead on or just a touch high @ 150.

#24 ·
so you're shooting bottom right? I like to set my in-lines ML's at 12:00 and about 1.5-2" high at 100 yds. The flinters are set close to 1" high at 50 yds as my eyes are not so good with open sights anymore and a 75 yd shot is fairly long for me. The 54 Hawken with the 36" Green Mountain barrel is really accurate but these eyes have trouble getting both sights in focus and I hate it. I said before maybe a peep might help moving the rear sight closer to my eyes and then change my glasses to clean things up? Scopes make things a whole less complicated but then there's nothing like woosh...bang to shatter the morning stillness. :whistling:

#25 ·
I was holding center of the bulls eye. That 110gr load was something i never used and hit a bit higher than i need.

This is my new mexico muzzle loader i will use this year. I get tired of pulling scopes and remounting them so i figured to make it easy and leave this one as it is and use my other optima as an open site colorado shooter.

I need this one good out to at least 200 yards this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.