New gun in town - Page 5 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 AM

The two bucks hit last year with the 250 Shockwaves neither went past 30 yds. My son's was a 200+ Ohio buck that went maybe the 30 yds and I shot a small 3pt Ohio buck that went 15 yds. Not bad! These were close in shots that most likely anything coming out the barrel would have taken. The only bullet not to pass through was a TC Maxi-hunter on a 200lb Ohio doe that I shot in the chest and found/have the bullet which was poking under the skin in the back end. For the money the TC Firehawk was/is a great rifle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 08:48 AM
B&C 100 Class

HM.........I did say I was using the new Powerbelt, and they are very accurate in my gun. They also load perfect. They are also expensive, but so are Thors.

The bottom line is I have some Thors coming that should fit the Wolf. I haven't had the chance to try Thors in the Wolf yet. I'm convinced that Barnes bullets are the best you can buy. I have all the confidence I need to use them for any game in North America.

The new PB Aerolite is a question mark right now. If I was just going to hunt deer i'd have more confidence in the PB. I scouted my hunting area yesterday, and saw a beautiful cow elk. It reminded me just how big cows are. She was close to 500lbs. That's a big animal compared to deer.

Plus, i'd have to use a 300gr Aerolite for elk, and the 250gr Thor will be fine because of how it performs. I had an operation on my cheek to remove cancer. It left me with 100 stitches, and sensitive to recoil. The lighter bullet will help some.

I know FG will be disappointed, but i'm more comfortable using a Thor bullet this year.

If FG has good luck with the Aerolite bullet this year. I'll reconsider next year.

This will all depend on how well the Thor shoots in my gun. We'll see.

Last edited by Muley; 06-30-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:12 AM

Muley sorry to hear of your surgery. I hope it wasn't from chew? It's got to be pretty tender especially when you get the recoil push against it. Hopefully by hunting season all will be gone and no pain. I rmember hunting in PA with a soft cast on for a torn achilles tendon tear. Man every step pounded but I wasn't wasting a hunting trip. Good luck with the mending.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:03 PM
B&C 100 Class

No, it was skin cancer. (melanoma)

I tell everybody I was mauled by a bear.

Not really a big deal.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Banned

muleys pulling your leg!

He goes around showing pictures before he was married and AFTER he was married. Marriage takes a told on your once good looks :D
Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierGander View Post
muleys pulling your leg!

He goes around showing pictures before he was married and AFTER he was married. Marriage takes a told on your once good looks :D
She did have a good right cross, but I duck real good.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:16 PM
Banned

Talked my 11 year old niece into shooting my CVA Optima and she had fun doing it. I will have to work more with her on the steps, especially getting the scope into focus but she did a heck of a job placing the shot! She was 1 1/2" low and about the same to the left @ 100 yards.

YouTube - ‪Shooting a muzzle loader‬‏
Old 07-05-2011, 06:34 AM

FG, just a little friendly advice, I would hope the next time you talk a child into shooting a weapon especially a muzzleloader, you would consider their fears and concerns and adjust their shots accordingly.
It looks like you loaded her shot with a magnum charge by the way the rifle came back and kicked her.
Next time it might be better to just allow her to shoot a low powder charged bullet, just for the experience of shooting rather than hand her a rifle charged with an amount of powder that was only going to hurt
and scare her away from wanting to take a second shot.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Banned

A 100gr load is a magnum charge? LOL.

Shes perfectly fine. That lead sled eliminated 90% of felt recoil. If you watch the scope, it moved back only 1" or so. It looks bad but she flinches badly and starts to lift her head away as she pulls the trigger.

Shes ready to go shoot again she says.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierGander View Post
A 100gr load is a magnum charge? LOL.

Shes perfectly fine. That lead sled eliminated 90% of felt recoil. If you watch the scope, it moved back only 1" or so. It looks bad but she flinches badly and starts to lift her head away as she pulls the trigger.

Shes ready to go shoot again she says.
A 100gr load is a magnum charge?
You didnt mention it was a 100gr load, you only mentioned it was 100 yard shot., maybe you should have let her shoot a 50/60gr load?

If you watch the scope, it moved back only 1" or so. It looks bad but she flinches badly and starts to lift her head away as she pulls the trigger.

I'm the type of person that worries too much about shooting accidents or incidents, I think "many" could be avoided, it's been proven time and time again, recoil with a scope can do some serious damage to a shooters face.

Thank God she pulled this one off without a problem but in the future you might want to lead others into shooting weapons with a weapon that might be more appropriate to start a youngster off with.