Deer Hunting Forums banner

New gun in town

20K views 73 replies 7 participants last post by  frontiergander 
#1 ·
Cleaned her up and degreased it with gun scrubber, 60 strokes with JB Bore paste down the bore, internals were lightly coated with Barricade, head space was adjusted .013" outward for a slight crush fit on the primer to prevent primer blow by. One heck of a gun so far! An easy 4 shots and shes ready to go. I will be using this Optima with 100gr Blackhorn209, 250gr Aerolite Powerbelt on my New Mexico mule deer hunt this September.

After 8 shots.

Tomorrow shes gonna get a work out at 100 yards and possibly even 150 yards.

See less See more
#38 ·
Thor is made by Barnes, and you like Powebelts? Why? I see you get accuracy but terminal performance on game animals should be the desire and I would think the Barnes bullets would be the superior performer. Powerbelts don't seem to rank too high on what I've read. It probably doesn't matter for shots in the 100 yd range but long range most likely is a big difference. Just an asumption on my part. Hopefully FG you will get a 200 yd shot and see what the PB' will do. I didn't shoot any of the Barnes through the Truimph as the Shockwaves were very accurate and blasted two bucks last January. What's interesting is the TC Firehawk will shoot the 250 shockwaves really well as well as the old Maxi-hunters. I need to experiment with the Triumph to see what it will really do now that I have the new rest. According to what I've read the Barnes bullets should shoot really well in the Triumph being a slightly underbore. Worth a try.

#41 ·
The two bucks hit last year with the 250 Shockwaves neither went past 30 yds. My son's was a 200+ Ohio buck that went maybe the 30 yds and I shot a small 3pt Ohio buck that went 15 yds. Not bad! These were close in shots that most likely anything coming out the barrel would have taken. The only bullet not to pass through was a TC Maxi-hunter on a 200lb Ohio doe that I shot in the chest and found/have the bullet which was poking under the skin in the back end. For the money the TC Firehawk was/is a great rifle.

#42 · (Edited)
HM.........I did say I was using the new Powerbelt, and they are very accurate in my gun. They also load perfect. They are also expensive, but so are Thors.

The bottom line is I have some Thors coming that should fit the Wolf. I haven't had the chance to try Thors in the Wolf yet. I'm convinced that Barnes bullets are the best you can buy. I have all the confidence I need to use them for any game in North America.

The new PB Aerolite is a question mark right now. If I was just going to hunt deer i'd have more confidence in the PB. I scouted my hunting area yesterday, and saw a beautiful cow elk. It reminded me just how big cows are. She was close to 500lbs. That's a big animal compared to deer.

Plus, i'd have to use a 300gr Aerolite for elk, and the 250gr Thor will be fine because of how it performs. I had an operation on my cheek to remove cancer. It left me with 100 stitches, and sensitive to recoil. The lighter bullet will help some.

I know FG will be disappointed, but i'm more comfortable using a Thor bullet this year.

If FG has good luck with the Aerolite bullet this year. I'll reconsider next year.

This will all depend on how well the Thor shoots in my gun. We'll see.

#43 ·
Muley sorry to hear of your surgery. I hope it wasn't from chew? It's got to be pretty tender especially when you get the recoil push against it. Hopefully by hunting season all will be gone and no pain. I rmember hunting in PA with a soft cast on for a torn achilles tendon tear. Man every step pounded but I wasn't wasting a hunting trip. Good luck with the mending.

#48 ·
FG, just a little friendly advice, I would hope the next time you talk a child into shooting a weapon especially a muzzleloader, you would consider their fears and concerns and adjust their shots accordingly.
It looks like you loaded her shot with a magnum charge by the way the rifle came back and kicked her.
Next time it might be better to just allow her to shoot a low powder charged bullet, just for the experience of shooting rather than hand her a rifle charged with an amount of powder that was only going to hurt
and scare her away from wanting to take a second shot.

#49 ·
A 100gr load is a magnum charge? LOL.

Shes perfectly fine. That lead sled eliminated 90% of felt recoil. If you watch the scope, it moved back only 1" or so. It looks bad but she flinches badly and starts to lift her head away as she pulls the trigger.

Shes ready to go shoot again she says.

#50 ·
A 100gr load is a magnum charge?
You didnt mention it was a 100gr load, you only mentioned it was 100 yard shot., maybe you should have let her shoot a 50/60gr load?

If you watch the scope, it moved back only 1" or so. It looks bad but she flinches badly and starts to lift her head away as she pulls the trigger.

I'm the type of person that worries too much about shooting accidents or incidents, I think "many" could be avoided, it's been proven time and time again, recoil with a scope can do some serious damage to a shooters face.

Thank God she pulled this one off without a problem but in the future you might want to lead others into shooting weapons with a weapon that might be more appropriate to start a youngster off with.

#57 ·
The lead sled is nice to use with new shooters, eliminates any pain the shooter might feel due to holding it wrong..
Sorry FG but you're very wrong, The lead sled obviously hurt her from this shot she even raises and shakes her right arm indicating a painful recoil.

#56 ·
nope I can't start any videos in FG's listing. I see them all. Does this require a subscription or something? My son-in-law is coming for dinner so he's pretty good with computers so I should be good to go in an hour or so. There's no (start icon) when I click on the site. I know sounds pretty lame but like I said not very good with this darn thing. I see now, my daughter has a sign in log to u-tube so I just need her password I guess???

#61 ·
LMAO i just called her to ask her and she said, " It didn't hurt me, i was just scared and said owe when it went off" Then i told her you guys were giving me crap and she was laughing and said something not nice and that it didnt hurt her, it just scared her when the gun went off.

She simply just didn't know what to expect from it.

So haha haha! An 11 year old told you guys off! LMAO. Shes to funny.

#62 ·
Im not giving you crap about it, im simply pointing out the ignorance to your niece's undeniable reaction and your carless lack of concern for her safety.
You can do or say what you wish but your obviously not going to admit ANY mistakes you've made allowing your inexperienced niece to shoot without first knowing what to expect from the shot.

#63 ·
if you have not shot off a lead sled before, you have no clue what you're talking about then.

I wouldnt put my niece in danger. She was told what to except. That was actually the 3rd video of her, the first 2 she kept laughing and saying she was scared. Shes never seen one of these in action before.

Just watch, she'll be shooting it again and loving it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.