Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   MuzzleLoader Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/)
-   -   range?? (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/760-range.html)

burgerking 10-12-2007 11:52 AM

range??

Hello there, i was at a local sporting goods store looking at a new muzzloader and the guy there pointed out just an average CVA and said that was what he used and hit one at 250.. is this right?

buckfever 10-12-2007 01:10 PM

whoo. seems a little far to me. im not familiar with a cva and dont know what kind of power it has. maybe some cva gun owners on here can you help you out on that one. but my first thought would be i doubt it.

BruceBruce1959 10-12-2007 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by burgerking (Post 3978)
Hello there, i was at a local sporting goods store looking at a new muzzloader and the guy there pointed out just an average CVA and said that was what he used and hit one at 250.. is this right?

I can't confirm the CVA's accuracy from personal experiance but many of todays muzzleloaders are reaching out to those distances with good accuracy, personally I would believe it.

I would suggest doing some research on that particular model the clerk pointed out to you. here's the link to the CVA website if you need it.

Good Luck !!!

burgerking 10-12-2007 03:02 PM

Yea i cant imagine he would just give me false info as a sales pitch. Thanks for your help

critter gitter 10-12-2007 09:50 PM

But you have to remember he is still a salesman and they will do anything to help you but they also want to make a sale for their commission.

buckfever 10-13-2007 07:50 AM

i need to shoot my T/C at that distance and see what it will do. i would like to get me a nice bench set-up just to see how all my guns can perform at distances without human error

peckspond 10-13-2007 08:04 AM

CVA's at 250 yards

I own both CVA's and TC inline's. I have never shot over 100 yards, but do get 2-3 in groups at 100 yards from my CVA Hunterbolt .45 cal and from my TC Encore .50 cal. I can see,with a little bit of tweaking, 200-250 yards is possible so I do not think the salesman was lying to you, perhaps stretching the truth a bit, but not lying.

lopedog394 10-31-2007 09:36 PM

range

i thinkk that 200 yards is way to much yet 250 i would say 150 at the most remember range is where ever you are confident with your weapon and knowing your weapons limitations and also your own limitations but be fair to the animal dont take crackball shots just because some nitwit told you the gun can shoot that far! be smart and also most important be safe and know your limits shoot all of your weapons alot get to know what they shoot bad and also get to know what they dont shoot good!!
KNOW YOUR LIMITS!!!!!!!
good luck
lopedog!!!!!!!!

bigcnybucks 01-10-2008 03:04 PM

I shoot a TC Encore and with a nikon scope with range finder. I taged an 11pt at just under 250 yards this year. I was skeptical about the distance thing myself so this past summer me and a buddy set up targets at 200, 225 and 250 yards. Heck yeah they stretch that far. I watched a guy on the hunting channel smash a mnt. goat at 260 yrds. My buddy shoots a CVA and he streched that far also. The in-lines they make these days a ruthless. I promise you it'll reach out and touch it at that distance and I'm not going for any kind of commision either.. Ha..Ha..

bigcnybucks 01-10-2008 03:08 PM

I agree with lopedog394 as far as being confident with your shooting. I love long range shooting and practice at long distances all year long with all of my weapons. This way when the oppurtunity presents itself I'm ready and it makes the closer shots much easier.