range?? - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 01-10-2008, 05:51 PM
B&C 180 Class

i agree with all of the above
Genesis 27:3 "The thinking deer hunter should mature through three phases during his hunting life. First phase, "I need to kill a deer." Second phase, I want to harvest a nice deer. And last phase, we must manage this resource so our children and their children can experience the grand tradition of good deer hunting." - Jim Slinsky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 03:08 PM

If the salesman said "these things can kill out to 250 yds", then he's correct. If he said "everyone can kill out to 250 yds with one of these" then he is not telling the truth. I think with a new inlines shooting 150 grs of pellets and a saboted bullet and a good scope the range should not be a major problem. The older guns probably should not be used at this distance by the majority of hunters. The max range that I go by with my TC firehawk is 150 yds. It is scoped with a 3X9 and I use 100 grs of triple 7 and a TC maxi-hunter hollow point. I have it sighted in 1.5" high at 75 yds.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:20 PM
B&C 140 Class

Yes they will reach that far and further. If you research civil war weapons you will find that snipers of that era made shots of more than 500 yards. Todays weapons are very capable of making such shots. It requires a lot of testing on your part to acheive such ranges. I have personally taken deer further than that but never much more than 300. I do not recommend shooting at such ranges without a lot of range time. T/C and Knight guns you will find can be very effective at such distances. Like any other weapon practise makes perfect. I cannot speak for CVA but can for T/C and Knight. Groups of 2 to 3 inches and tighter at 250 are obtainable with a little effort.