Flintlock Hunters In USA ? - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 04-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Scrub Buck

Default Flintlock Hunters In USA ?

Anyone have an idea how to estimate the total number of Flintlock Hunters in the USA...? I have an idea that I need to research, but I need to figure out approximately how many Smoke Pole Hunters exist in the USA... I don't care if they are Old Style, patch and ball or new style using Sabots... Just need to figure out how many... Your suggestions?

Last edited by deeritch; 04-07-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2011, 01:06 PM

PA probably has the highest # of flintlock hunters. I'd start with the DNR of your state for late season ML permit records then try each state. You have a tough task ahead of you.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:56 PM
B&C 120 Class

That is something I would like to do in the future. I currently use an inline Knight Revolution 2. Eventually I will buy an old style flint lock to hunt with for nostalgia purposes.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:27 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeritch View Post
Anyone have an idea how to estimate the total number of Flintlock Hunters in the USA...? I have an idea that I need to research, but I need to figure out approximately how many Smoke Pole Hunters exist in the USA... I don't care if they are Old Style, patch and ball or new style using Sabots... Just need to figure out how many... Your suggestions?
Flintlock using a sabot?

It goes against everything that's holy.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:43 PM

No flintlock shooter could commit that sin could they? There is no more fun than hunting late season with flintlocks. Woosh bang, sweet!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Scrub Buck

I hunt deer, hog, gobblers and squirrels with flintlocks that I build. Only got two left, a 20ga. for spring gobblers and Berk's County .58cal. for deer, hogs and elk if I ever hunt elk again. Traded my others for a 4w drive pickup. I do still have a modern handgun and .22 rifle.

Here's a few pictures of the two I kept for my hunting needs.

20ga.

.58cal.

20ga.

.58cal.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:49 AM

Nice pics!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:24 PM
Banned

i think finding out the # of folks that use flintlocks to hunt with would be impossible. I agree, PA would most likely have the highest % due to their laws.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Scrub Buck

Talking Flintlock hunters

All I know there is not enough of them.

I appreciate all the guys out there that are shooting the new ML's but if you really want to experiance the thrill of a great hunt, do it with a flinter.

I know that there is not a good supply of quality cheap flintlocks for the masses and that is the reason there are few tradional hunters out there shooting flinter's.

Plus everyone thinks that the flintlock are slow and undependable on firing. This is far from the case, flinters can be as fast and dependable as any of the modern guns, notice I said can be.

I think that flintlocks got their bad rep due to a couple of things. First all that was available for hunting by traditional hunters was junk made in Spain. Second when the ML hunting fad really took off the manufacturers listend to all the complaints and decided to move away from tradional designs into a more profitable modern design which could be made more readily in factories and mass production. That was not all bad because it help promote ML seasons and got a lot of people in the sport of ML even if it was not in the traditional form.

I hope that some of the hunters shooting the new rifles will some day decide to try a good flintlock made by a quality custom builder. Then they will realize that there is a lot to be said for the old flintlocks.

I hunt with a flintlock and my trusty old 30-06 and I have many fine memories from using both but I still get that little extra thrill when I line the sights up of the flinter on a nice buck.

Good luck to all
Old 10-08-2011, 07:32 PM

Hunting with snow on the ground and using flintlocks is a whole new experience, I love it!