Deer Hunting Forums

Deer Hunting Forums (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/)
-   MuzzleLoader Hunting (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/)
-   -   Bh209 (http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/muzzleloader-hunting/7412-bh209.html)

scentman 03-16-2011 07:00 AM

Bh209

I have been having issues with my Accura fouling when using the BH209 powder. Aside from the one issue of the breach having a narrow flash channel, I am wondering if when I fire the gun my .50 powerbelt is not a really tight fit and is moving forward some thus keeping the charge from being compacted for a good fire.
I am very new to BH209 and wanted to know what you gents think?:mellow:

deerless 03-16-2011 08:42 AM

If that is what you think why not try a sabot and see what happens?

scentman 03-16-2011 08:44 AM

any suggestions on a sabot? All I ever used have been power belts along with 777 pellets.

daddus1 03-16-2011 09:45 AM

scentman,
I do know for a fact that you can't use the low output primers that you'd use with 777. You should use a standard shotgun primer. My encore can shoot 12 or 15 shots with sabots before it get hard. I tried this intentionally just to see if what they advertise is true and it is. With powerbelts you should not have a problem. I just use the standard Winchester 209 primers and it works very well.
Let us know how you make out, keep us in the loop.
Thanks and God bless
daddus

daddus1 03-16-2011 09:48 AM

scentman,
also max load for bh is 120 grains
daddus

frontiergander 03-16-2011 10:52 AM

adjust the head spacing. That will take care of the mess inside the action. Its mainly primer blow by. Powerbelts will work fine, i shoot thousands of them each year with BH209.

Muley 03-16-2011 11:14 AM

You spend thousands of dollars a year on Powerbelts?? :confused:

frontiergander 03-16-2011 12:06 PM

$20 per 15 x 4 to 5,000 shots a year. Thousands yes LOL.

Hunting Man 03-16-2011 12:16 PM

I don't shoot 1000's of rounds but I don't see this crud ring issue either. The TC Triumph will only shoot 2 shots then needs a wire brush and good for two more. It loads sabots pretty tight. I haven't tried harvester sabots yet, but I'm not interested in powerbelts. Not much difference between TC super glides shock waves and Barnes bullet/sabots loading through the Triumph, both are tight. BH is a good powder.

Hunting Man 03-16-2011 12:27 PM

From all the posts here CVA seems to have more dang problems than everything else combined. Maybe here lies the heart of the problem. While our site is only a small sampling of ml owners across the country, seems to be many unhappy CVA owners having issues. Just some thoughts. I can see another post saying someone makes a living repairing TC rifles but you would think we'd get a few unhappy TC, Traditions, Lyman ect posts regarding problems. I would steer clear of CVA products based just on the problems thay have been posted just by our members. Maybe CVA needs to send me one of their top models to do a quality review!!! :ph34r: Anyway spend your hard earned dollars wisely in whatever brand you purchase.