Deer Hunting Forums banner

Bh209

14K views 48 replies 9 participants last post by  sadmemories20 
#1 ·
I have been having issues with my Accura fouling when using the BH209 powder. Aside from the one issue of the breach having a narrow flash channel, I am wondering if when I fire the gun my .50 powerbelt is not a really tight fit and is moving forward some thus keeping the charge from being compacted for a good fire.
I am very new to BH209 and wanted to know what you gents think?:mellow:

#4 ·
scentman,
I do know for a fact that you can't use the low output primers that you'd use with 777. You should use a standard shotgun primer. My encore can shoot 12 or 15 shots with sabots before it get hard. I tried this intentionally just to see if what they advertise is true and it is. With powerbelts you should not have a problem. I just use the standard Winchester 209 primers and it works very well.
Let us know how you make out, keep us in the loop.
Thanks and God bless
daddus

#9 ·
I don't shoot 1000's of rounds but I don't see this crud ring issue either. The TC Triumph will only shoot 2 shots then needs a wire brush and good for two more. It loads sabots pretty tight. I haven't tried harvester sabots yet, but I'm not interested in powerbelts. Not much difference between TC super glides shock waves and Barnes bullet/sabots loading through the Triumph, both are tight. BH is a good powder.

#10 ·
From all the posts here CVA seems to have more dang problems than everything else combined. Maybe here lies the heart of the problem. While our site is only a small sampling of ml owners across the country, seems to be many unhappy CVA owners having issues. Just some thoughts. I can see another post saying someone makes a living repairing TC rifles but you would think we'd get a few unhappy TC, Traditions, Lyman ect posts regarding problems. I would steer clear of CVA products based just on the problems thay have been posted just by our members. Maybe CVA needs to send me one of their top models to do a quality review!!! :ph34r: Anyway spend your hard earned dollars wisely in whatever brand you purchase.

#11 ·
Like I posted before I started with a cva hunterbolt... shot it alot, cleaned after each day afield, and for the price nice low stress gun.

So I look at ml's and decide I'll try the Accura, price is right and going on past performance I buy it.

Shooting .50 powerbelts, 100 gr.777 pellets, 777 win. muzzleloader primers... best groups I have ever shot with any rifle.
I hear about bh209 powder and give it a try, and I learn some owners are having some trouble fouling, some are not.
I will work thru it, but as far as the rifle is concerned... I am happy with it.

#12 ·
cva only has an issue with the breech plugs with bh209 hang firing, they of course will have a new plug available to fix that issue in june.

The only posts made about cva are by me and i am always tinkering with them to see what i can do to improve things.

Most of our guns are stock though. My Optima has been the main test horse and will get more improvements by me later on.

#14 ·
The CVA also has the worse ramrod i've ever seen. Cheap thin tubing.

Please don't say you have no problems FG. On your forum guys are complaining and replacing the ramrod.

Besides i'm sure you use your range rod 99% of the time. I can use my Omega ramrod for the range, cleaning, and hunting. As I should be able to do.

I also find the CVA's have tight bores which means some bullets won't work.

Maybe the breech plug is going to be fixed, but for years and right now if you buy a CVA. It's not fixed.

One last thing. Whatever they put on the outside of the barrel. It scratches easily.

Now, just to compare. The Omega has none of the CVA problems.

#15 ·
Yeah but ive only had the range rod for a year. I've owned a lot of rifles and the only ramrods that gave me trouble were the wooden ramrods. I dont see how the others have so much trouble with the ramrods.

.500-.501" they run these days. Theres really no specific standard bore size in the industry. TC's have the most tightest bores of .498 to .499" Some go as big as .503"

We could go on and on about all brands of muzzle loaders and their problems, but in the end, we'll still shoot what works best for us.

#18 ·
FG, if you review past posts I do shoot BH powder. I have a TC Triumph with a tight barrel which makes for a very accurate barrel in my most humble opinion. BH powder is not as clean burning as some wish to advertise. Much better than black powder, slightly better than 777. I have limited range shooting with the Knight and BH but initial groups are very good. We'll see what the Traditions will do. I purchased a front adj sight-in rest and rear sand bag so watch out, competition is on the way even with these old eyes! :boxing:

#20 ·
The sabots go down hard after two shots, really hard, regardless whether using 777, BH,. Once everything is clean again (wire brush) I get two shots again. The Knight is the same way so it's not just a TC thing. The sabots start to get tight 6"into loading and all the rest of the way down.The clean up with BH is still messy, it's black and clean up still takes time with a ML if you do it right.

#23 ·
Most omega users will use the crush rib sabots. They also have learned to use JB Bore paste 60 passes minimum to help smooth out the tc bores. It really helps these guys a lot with loading. One guy would basically have to beat even the crush rib sabots down the bore even on a clean barrel. The jb bore paste is something you really should look into.

BH209 cleans up super easy for me, even in my non bore coated barrels.

When you go to clean up BH209, run at least 2 to 3 dry patches down the bore first, this collects and removes the loose fouling that normally would turn to sludge if you did not dry swab. It makes a huge difference.

#22 ·
I'm not sure what the problem is with your gun.

I can't get a second sabot loaded when I use T7. I get stuck at the crud ring. One time I tried to clean the crud ring, and the patch got stuck. I was hunting and had to go home to remove the ramrod. That's when I threw out all the T7 I had.

Now, i'm not exaggerating. I can shoot my Omega for 30 shots with tight sabots and not swab using BH 209. This is really important to me. I refuse to swab while hunting, and now I don't have to with BH 209. I don't even bother taking a jag or patches with me anymore. I take 5-6 speedloaders with powder, bullets and primers held in them, and all I need is the gun ramrod to load. It's a simple system that I love. A 2nd shot is actually an option now.

BH 209 has made muzzleloading fun now.

#25 ·
brush is surely a good idea, i actually prefer using the nylon bore brush as they seem to have been doing a better job at getting into the little nooks and crannies in the rifling.

But dry swab first! 2 to 3 patches minimum, run your brush, flip a used patch over onto a clean side and run it down, follow up with your cleaner.

What cleaner are you using?

#26 ·
I never tried a dry patch first. Here's how I do it.

I use Butch's Bore Shine.

I run a soak patch of Butch's down and flip it over and down again.

I repeat with another soaked patch. Let it sit for 1 minute.

Then 3-4 dry patches and the bore sparkles.

A patch of Break Free to protect.

Then I twist an 1/8" drill in the flash channel, and then soak the BP in a small tub of Butch's for 10 minutes.

Then wipe off the BP and install with no lube on the threads. It's not needed with BH 209.

I'm done.

Right before shooting again I run two dry patches in the bore to remove the Break Free.

#28 ·
The easiest to clean BH209 for me has been CVA foaming barrel blaster. I pull the plug, stuff a patch in that end, spray the foam, let it sit for 10 minutes while cleaning the plug, 3 patches later squeaky clean, a little Montana conditioner in the bore, done. 15 minutes total time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.