Bh209 - Page 2 - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 03-16-2011, 12:40 PM
B&C 100 Class

Like I posted before I started with a cva hunterbolt... shot it alot, cleaned after each day afield, and for the price nice low stress gun.

So I look at ml's and decide I'll try the Accura, price is right and going on past performance I buy it.

Shooting .50 powerbelts, 100 gr.777 pellets, 777 win. muzzleloader primers... best groups I have ever shot with any rifle.
I hear about bh209 powder and give it a try, and I learn some owners are having some trouble fouling, some are not.
I will work thru it, but as far as the rifle is concerned... I am happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Banned

cva only has an issue with the breech plugs with bh209 hang firing, they of course will have a new plug available to fix that issue in june.

The only posts made about cva are by me and i am always tinkering with them to see what i can do to improve things.

Most of our guns are stock though. My Optima has been the main test horse and will get more improvements by me later on.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:56 PM
Banned

2 shots before needing a wire brush = crud ring LOL. Shoot BH209 and you wont even see the need for a wire brush or cleaning solution on the range.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:15 PM
B&C 100 Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontierGander View Post
cva only has an issue with the breech plugs with bh209 hang firing, they of course will have a new plug available to fix that issue in june.

The only posts made about cva are by me and i am always tinkering with them to see what i can do to improve things.

Most of our guns are stock though. My Optima has been the main test horse and will get more improvements by me later on.
The CVA also has the worse ramrod i've ever seen. Cheap thin tubing.

Please don't say you have no problems FG. On your forum guys are complaining and replacing the ramrod.

Besides i'm sure you use your range rod 99% of the time. I can use my Omega ramrod for the range, cleaning, and hunting. As I should be able to do.

I also find the CVA's have tight bores which means some bullets won't work.

Maybe the breech plug is going to be fixed, but for years and right now if you buy a CVA. It's not fixed.

One last thing. Whatever they put on the outside of the barrel. It scratches easily.

Now, just to compare. The Omega has none of the CVA problems.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:04 PM
Banned

Yeah but ive only had the range rod for a year. I've owned a lot of rifles and the only ramrods that gave me trouble were the wooden ramrods. I dont see how the others have so much trouble with the ramrods.

.500-.501" they run these days. Theres really no specific standard bore size in the industry. TC's have the most tightest bores of .498 to .499" Some go as big as .503"

We could go on and on about all brands of muzzle loaders and their problems, but in the end, we'll still shoot what works best for us.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:09 PM
B&C 100 Class

Just pointing out the CVA has more than a breech problem.

Yes, no ML is perfect. Even the almost perfect Omega. (front sight was too short)
Old 03-16-2011, 03:20 PM
Banned

had that problem with an omega too. only they sent me a new sight that was the same height. They said to send the barrel back as its most likely a flaw. No way in heck i was giving up that barrel as it shot conicals excellent.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:22 PM

FG, if you review past posts I do shoot BH powder. I have a TC Triumph with a tight barrel which makes for a very accurate barrel in my most humble opinion. BH powder is not as clean burning as some wish to advertise. Much better than black powder, slightly better than 777. I have limited range shooting with the Knight and BH but initial groups are very good. We'll see what the Traditions will do. I purchased a front adj sight-in rest and rear sand bag so watch out, competition is on the way even with these old eyes!
Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Banned

slightly cleaner than T7? thats a big claim right there.

Just curious but what troubles does BH209 cause in the triump?

I can darn near clean my bore out with just a paper towel when using BH209.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:35 PM

The sabots go down hard after two shots, really hard, regardless whether using 777, BH,. Once everything is clean again (wire brush) I get two shots again. The Knight is the same way so it's not just a TC thing. The sabots start to get tight 6"into loading and all the rest of the way down.The clean up with BH is still messy, it's black and clean up still takes time with a ML if you do it right.