Black Horn Powder - Deer Hunting Forums

Go Back   Deer Hunting Forums > General Forums > MuzzleLoader Hunting
MuzzleLoader Hunting Discuss MuzzleLoader topics

Old 03-07-2011, 04:04 PM

Default Black Horn Powder

Someone once corrected me on the proper use of Black Horn powder here. Now that person is violating the caution on the front of the jar." engineered for modern (in-line) muzzleloaders with 209 ignition". I think it's pretty clear that shooting BH in a side lock would violate the product's disclaimer. Please think before tinkering with firearms or modifying their structural integrity serious injury could occur! If there are any suggestions to alter certain firearm parts I will consult prior with Buckfever and then delete such posts. I don't see where the cautionary posts have had productive results. There is no question at all that factory warranties are being voided.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Banned

I am in touch with Western Powders and they dont have any problems shooting BH209 in a sidelock with the 209 adapter. They gave me 2 thumbs up when i was doing duplexing BH209 with jim shockeys gold in my hawken, no safety issues as the pressures were more than safe.

Blackhorn doesnt recommend shooting the powder in open style rifles, Buckhorn, knight mk93 - lk93 - White rifles, muzzle loaders that use plunger style rifles. breech plugs that use the slot for removal " screw driver style plug"

My mag spark exploded to the the manf. changing up the original design, unknown the to patent holder until now. They weakened it and this could have happened with ANY powder.

Oops forgot, after shipping i made under $90 on it. Add the work i put into it, thrown in 30-40 360gr lee minie bullets i made, assortment of targets + $60 durasight QD rings, i basically gave it away.

Last edited by frontiergander; 03-07-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:46 PM

I gave them a call, Don Lewis, I believe, and had to leave a message for him to call me back. FG, you may be right but I'd like to her from them.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:47 PM
ronn

fg although i find your experiments interesting, i really believe your treading on hazardous ground here. its one thing to do the modifications and experiments on your own but there is no disclaimer and you are taking no responsibility when you post these "outside manufacturers recommendations" things you are doing. its obvious you kinda know what you are doing but you might be putting ideas in the heads of those that may not fully understand or know exactly what it is you are doing. i really think you're being a little more than irresponsible. just my opinion
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:58 PM
Banned

KillAWolf
Old 03-07-2011, 05:07 PM
ronn

cool stuff. bet that ain't no cva in that site. still i like said you may kinda know what you are doing doesn't mean everyone reading your posts has your knowledge. i still think you are being somewhat irresponsible. its one thing to answer a question its another to promote these things you are doing, which are outside the MANUFACTURERS (not some guy experimenting) guide lines.

Last edited by ronn; 03-07-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:07 PM

Spoke with Don Lewis they may be adding a comment on their web site "Black Horn is for in-lines only". He'd rather not see people using Black Horn in side locks period. A little different from FG's post.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:09 PM

Any promotion on altering certain gun parts will get a note to Buck Fever and with his approval a post delete from me. This is thin ice to me.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Banned

Ask for Don Luhr, hes been well aware of me shooting it in sidelocks.

The safety failure i had was due to the specs being changed without the owner being aware. Don pretty much said that since it happened, it'd probably be best to not use it again for safety reasons.

I can always use the duplex load like i did before but that just slowed things down.